Why do they do this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by All_Toro_4ME, Feb 12, 2008.

1. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I've noticed this for a while, and Im sure other lco's in other states do the same thing, but when they are finished and using the backpack blowers, they blow everything (grass clippings and such) out in the street. Why? Do any of you guys do this? Be honest. I see it a lot, seems to be common practice, but I won't do it.

2. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

No, we use the blower to blow clippings off the street.

3. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Everything goes back onto the lawn for me. Anytime I see someone side discharging or blowing grass into the street I just want to stop and rip their head off.

4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Me too. Its so tacky.

5. IndyChad

IndyChad LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Agree it does look horrible no matter how the turf looks. I hope there are not any "professionals" that do this.

6. enviouslawns

enviouslawns LawnSite Member

Everything goes back on the grass. Only time i blow is the street is if its windy as hell and you ttry to put it on the grass bit just wont go there. lol then i blow it down the street and the wind takes care of the rest.

7. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

On all but a few occasions, I blow back into the turf. If the wind is blowing and not the right way, you about have no choice. Some major busy roads you can't get in the road to blow it back, and I will not leave it on the curb area. You have to do whats best at any particular point or property. But I do mosty go back to the turf with clippings.

8. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Seen a solo LCO-guy who has several residences in a row in a nice subdivision - he mowed/manicured them all, then trimmed them all 100%...then swept all surfaces (drives, walks, patios) into the lawn.........EXCEPT...for the clippings/trimmings in the concrete street gutter.

Here's several residences in a row, looking sharp...'cept for what one might very well see first...and he did it the same way EVERY week. :hammerhead:

9. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

I have a neighbor that does a couple of yards (she is a renter, and part of her rent is to mow the landlords property). And everytime, she blows it out into the road. Since her landlords' property is on both sides, it covers the entire street. I cannot stand that! And she wanted to work for me at one time. Yeah right!

10. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I try to get them back in the lawn. I do have a couple of lawns that are on streets that are like wind tunnels. It is not uncommon in OK to have 40 mph wind in the spring. On those streets you can't blow the curb clippings back up to the lawn, as soon as you hit it with the blower it is sucked down the street and gone.