why do they pack it in?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 22, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

in the last few weeks, i've heard from 3 different lawnguys who have been in business a long time, that they are done. WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY DOING WRONG? first guy=out of business after 12 years. cut lawns, landscape, and pavers/retaining walls. main reason he quit, in his own words, "i'm tired of not getting paid, and having to chase my money all the time." second guy=quit mowing, but will do only landscaping, pavers, retaining walls. reason=" no money in mowing." third guy= got a fine by the d.e.p, for not renewing his license, is now being pressured by dept of employment for paying his guys in cash. said if it goes any further, "he's packing it in." as to say, giving up the business. this guy been in business 15 yrs. i don't get it . there is no way in hell i'd just pack it in. i mean, even if you are doing something wrong, and doing it knowingly, don't you plan on the price of the consequence? unreal

2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

All of those guys had their reasons and there are as many more reasons as there are of us out here. There seems to be some common reasons though. Not getting paid, tired of the hassles, divorce and settlements, some seem to be just plain old tired. I think the solo operations are more likely to fold because of these reasons than a bigger operation.

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I personally think the easiest money is in mowing. Ride around on a ztr or velke all day is a lot easier then building walls and walks. Plus mowing is steady.

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Bob, I'd say it isn't just lco's in jersey.................Jersey has become a difficult place for any business.

5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

This is an "easy entry" business. Some basic equipment, and they are in. These guys might be great at what they do, but if they don't have any business skills, game over.

6. Turfcutters Plus

Turfcutters Plus LawnSite Senior Member

All i do is mow.It's fun going home early watching city and construction guys still at work!It's a no brainer,i'm on auto pilot,on ztr with peltors of course!AHHHHHHH,doing what i love,gotta love it.It's great having rain be your best friend.Rain used to be depressing before this job.

7. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

++++These guys might be great at what they do, but if they don't have any business skills, game over++++

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. Two of the guys had 10+ years of experience. You don't pay your cost of living for over a decade being self employed without business skills.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, I'm always getting stopped by other LCOs, asking if I want to buy their business. Its a lot of effort to keep any kind of business going year after year. And I think dealing with the unpredictability of the weather, as well as the seasonal aspect of the job makes it even tougher.

9. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I've been approached by two LCO's this week to see if I wanted to buy their business or part of it. I think they have finally discovered they can't drive over to the eastside of town to mow when they live on the west side. ALSO, their pricing structure is WAY TO THIN. LIVE by price, DIE by price!

Mike

10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been struggling lately, trying to start up my business. As I have very little financial education at this point, this has been an extemely difficult task. I also had zero sales and marketing experience as well. It's funny, this has been the most joyful, and the most difficult thing I have ever taken on. My father, who is really supportative, but has no real business experience as well, has been suggesting that I lower my prices to be competitive.. Funny thing is, my prices are pretty average. The problem, I was telling him, wasn't my prices, it is my lack of reputation, and my affore mentioned shortcomings.. You can do the most beautiful, proffesional work in the world, But if you can't sell yourself, manage the stress, or your heart isn't in it, you probably won't get very far. As I say this, I pray God gives me the Knowledge and wisdom to succeed at this endeavor, And I believe He will..