why do we need locators?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by 1idejim, Nov 17, 2011.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

here's the link

https://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=4366

There are 22 solenoid valves in our yard - over the years 5 of them got covered up and were lost under the turf. A home grown method was needed to locate them.
    A 4" x 24" (aprox) piece of hardware cloth - 2 pieces of electrical wire about 3' long - a wife with good hearing and 2 cell phones are needed. Disconnect the lost circuit in the control box - connect one piece of the wire conductor to the hardware cloth the other end of the conductor to the control box hot screw. The second wire is used to extend the wire from the valve (not necessarily required). Make the circuit hot - then take the wire from the valve and stroke it back and forth over the surface of the hardware cloth i.e. making contact in a rhythmic way - causing the solenoid valve to open and close fast and rhythmically - creating a buzz in the valve that can be heard by the wife who has the good hearing. A general location of the valves is needed. The grill off your BBQ grill can be used in lieu of the hardware cloth. The cell phones are used so you don't have to holler at each other.
    It works

hope this doesn't put greenlee or armada out of business

2. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

Wow... I sure hope none of my customers read this...hate to lose their business :)

3. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

My wife has excellent vision, she watches me like a hawk. :rolleyes:

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

"This Old House" sucks, especially Roger, the fat boy landscaper. :hammerhead:

5. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Umm, because we couldn't charge a hundred bucks an hour if we showed up and did that.

6. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Reminds me of the chatter feature on the station master that I can never seem to get to work for me.

Interesting and smart way to do it. Understandably people want to save money.. But if your're THAT much of a cheapo- maybe irrigation shouldn't be the priorty here

7. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

Isn't the main supposed to be off for this to work? I didn't see any mention of this.

8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Jim I don't think this would of worked on my last two locates.
    Both effing moron homeowners installed the irrigation FIRST then dumped over three feet of soil to establish the turf.
    I got close enough with the 521 then we poked around like a bunch of crack crazed knuckleheads but found the valves. One was almost 4' below grade.
    Good idea though since I applaud ingenuity but I think I'll pass.

9. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Same here. The chatter feature on the SmartLine clocks wasn't worth a flip, either.

10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic