Why do you do it better and how can you help us?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Picture Perfect Pavers, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Picture Perfect Pavers

Picture Perfect Pavers LawnSite Member

I am interested in what everyone has to say about this one. Obviously I am new to this site but seem addicted to it. The thing I see most as an new guy, looking in is what makes you do it better. Your secret, Your reason for going faster, your reason for having that finishing touch, your reason for getting more accomplished in a day, your estimating technique where there is no waste?

Here is mine

I believe that if you clean up as you go, and everyone chips in, at the end of the day there is less mess and at the end of the job there is no mess. I always keep trash bags available and insist that the guys remove the trash immediately. If you keep 1 wheelbarrow just for scrap cuts. Then after you make a cut throw the scap pavers/walls in the wheelbarrow. All that needs to be done at the end of the day is dump the wheelbarrow in the truck to be discarded and it beats leaving them piled up and or scattered around. We also use the wheelbarrow to move cuts to the next possible spot where that cut fits, this cuts down on waste.

I have witnessed other contractors with pallets everywhere, all the shrink wrap blowing around, the paver manufacturers label in the neighbors yard, coffee cups, plastic bags , metal bands piled everywhere, and the best of all the cuts from the pavers and walls laying all over the place. It seems a tidy jobsite keeps things running smoother and no of the workers feels like the garbage man we all are garbage men!!