1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Why do you do this???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Set Apart Lawn Care, Jan 30, 2013.

1. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't plan on being in the field for 10 yrs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. jdeereman

jdeereman LawnSite Member

I have been self employed for a fair number of the last 35 yrs. and therefore have learned mostly from experience that things can always be worse. A couple of divorces and the loss of my son along with a number of health issues can give you the realization that nothing is as bad as it seems. The lawn care business is like any other in most aspects. There is always going to be someone who thinks they can do a job better, cheaper and faster. And most of the time they can until they go broke or cut enough corners on there customers to lose them to the next guy who claims the same and eventually come back to me. Its good to be conscience of these guys but don't let them get to you. Concentrate on quality and efficiency and you will find that your customers will understand that you are in bussiness to make a decent living just like they are and they will stick with you through all times.

3. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

This place a forum, and most of the time when people discuss things it has to do with problems they have. I love my job, and I love how I can make my own hours, and do what I want with the business. This is also great because because this is an industry where the amount of money you make is only limited by how hard you work... or atleast if the work is there

4. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

The dust boogers are the best, aren't they? I've built enough paver patios to last a lifetime. We're getting out of that biz as my father is retiring. Going all lawn maintenance now.

5. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

Love working outdoors, have been self employed for over 24 years, I have the best boss and employee, myself!

6. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I'm doing just the opposite, I would rather do hardscapes than maint, maint is all about volume go go go all the time, not to mention there's no where near the margins in maint there is hardscapes. We'll always have some maint for cash flow, but not 100%. I found a pretty good mason so I want to keep him busy anyway. I guess that's the great thing about being your own boss you can set things up anyway you want pretty much.

7. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless something vastly changes, my company will always be full service design/build/maintain and snow & ice management.

8. CreativeLawncareSolutions

Our lifestyles/goals are just different. I mow 7-8 yards a day and am done by 1 pm...i then go have a few beers at the local sports bar. My fiancee' is also self employed. We have it made IMO.

9. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

Nice. :drinkup:

10. CreativeLawncareSolutions

TY,TY! The mulching season is tough work, though. My back hurts already.