why do you make a 37"

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by TClawn, Jul 15, 2004.

1. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

instead of a 36". I would really like to buy a hustler walk behind but the 37.7" deck width won't fit through any of my 37" gates.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I honestly dont know the answer to that question.
    We will have a 36" unit in the Trimstar line of walk behinds.
    When they are available I will post the info.

Pj

3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Many of our Gates a 36" Just scrapes through...37" mower doesn't make sense because around here at least 37" is a standard gate size...

4. gardengnome

gardengnome LawnSite Member

Try this on for size. Hustler decided to add a 36" mower to their line-up. Since they didn't want to re-design their mower set-up, they used the same engine/control platform but put smaller tires on it. to prevent the mowing width to be less then the wheelbase, they had to make the deck 37". The mower does have a very nice cut, but would definitely benfit from some added weight in the front. In addition I would suggest to make it a fixed deck to shorten the frame up (It's longer then the 48)
    Just my two cents.

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

There is a optional weight that can be installed on the front of the Hustler WB's, we offer it for these situations and mostly for the guys that are putting a ride on sulky on there WB's, this helps keep the front end down.

Pj

6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

but wouldn't it be worth it to them to redesign the set up? it totally shoots the reason for buying a 36". if the gates are 37" and the mower has a width of 37.7" I might as well buy a 52" and increase my productivity.

7. gardengnome

gardengnome LawnSite Member

Pj, I'm of the opinion that if I plunk down in exces sof 5K for a mower i should not have to buy optional equipment to make it perform better.

As far as 36" gates, when you consider the hinge pins and the clearance required for the styles you shouldn't have a problem with an extra 2 inches. redesigning costs money, if the 37 is too small a portion of the sales total it would not be cost effective to re design just that model.

Was looking at my 48 today and figured i can shave a minimum of 12 inches of the length