Why do you think mid-mounts dominate???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by captdevo, Nov 8, 2001.

1. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

well, let's hear it.....

why do you think a mid-mount is best???

i demoed a Hustler Super-Z and it is an excellent piece of equipment, in fact it's the best mid-mount i've ever run and i've run Dixies, Exmarks, Toros, etc.......

don't get me wrong, they have their place, in fact i'm planning on one next year to compliment my Walkers.

everyone thinks their machine is best.

i want facts, not opinions.

if you've never owned the machine don't talk about it....

let the games begin!!!

2. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

1 fact I can attest to: mid mounts will generally leave more to trim. When you get to curves and tight areas (and most lawns have them) you just cannot put the deck close enough. More trim time.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

[​IMG]

4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Mathew - all mowers leave areas when curves are involved unless they have a flex-deck on them. With the flex-deck suddenly you can mow between 26" spaces, square corners with out the back wheel running over stuff, under pine trees , between signs and curbs (city parks people - pay attention to that one) out over pond banks, inside corners in continuous motion with the ZTR and more. See our sponsor forum (flex-deck) on the home page, and check out dixie chopper at www.dixiechopper.com

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I have demoed a Hustler Super Z. I think it is a good mower. It gives a good cut and is fast, BUT I would never trade it for my Flatlander. The Chopper has a better seat, ride, and more fluid steering(and that is w/o VTC!). Choppers keep their value better than any mower out there and have life expectancy of 3000hrs.
    And captdevo I don't think my machine is the best; I know it is the best. ;) Also captdevo, you mentioned you used to run Dixies. Why did you change? Usually, once a DC owner always a DC owner.

6. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i've ran mid mounts for a couple of years (snapper& toro)and have switched over to front mounts (walker & grasshopper) i doubt i'll ever go back to a mid full time (the new toro is there for a backup).for me the front mounts are a lot easier to get around things,i also got tired of the extra trimming i'd have to do especially under trees and bushes.the grasshopper with the quick de-tach vac unit is so far THE best for leaf collection i've seen. i've tried the trac-vac on my other mowers but this grasshopper vac unit just blows it away.-my 2 cents.

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Heckifino..................that's just what I bought.

Each year somebody improves a design, they sell a lot of units......make a lot of friends.

I like knowing that the President of my particular mowers company is on the shop floor every day of the week working to tweak every little detail he can..............and I know he does for a fact. My money will stay with Chopper because the current models are better than the ones I own and the future machines are just outright gonna be kick azz, look out 2003!

Woops, was that a plug for Chopper?
    You bet it was.

Am I saying the others are not as good? Nope, just not good enough for me.

8. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

In the area that I am the mid mount is just more versatile than a front mount, and that is why almost everyone uses a mid mount of some kind, mostly d/c's. But I think that this will change in the next couple of years, at least here on the local seen were I am with the new bladerunner machine!

By the way eric I have a friend who is going to join lawnsite and says he has pictures to download on the bladerunner just for you!

9. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

around here, all i ever see are scags, exmarks and toros. no dixie choppers or walkers. midmounts seem to be the majority. in my opinion, i dont like the third wheel mark, and three wheel riders seem to take up more space.

10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

that flexi deck lots Awesome ... around nice ponds n lakes .... looks to be able to way down in the soft turf areas

get's one to think about what the next big mower to get is ;->