Why does everyone carry a 21" push mower even if they have a 36" walk behind???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by arhymer101, Aug 12, 2009.

1. arhymer101

arhymer101 LawnSite Member

This could be a completely stupid question on my part... but I am just wondering because I always see it. I need to know if I need to invest in one... haha

2. mowerdude777

mowerdude777 LawnSite Silver Member

have a 32 and still need to have one 1, I only need it for a small backyard

3. markahurley

markahurley LawnSite Senior Member

there are always yards where there are places just too tight for the 36 but too big for the string trimmer. it's all about using the right tool for the job.

4. Hoy landscaping

Hoy landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 42 inch and watever that cant hit the trimmer hits it

5. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

Very steep hills, strips of grass where the 36 is actually too wide, fenced in back yards where the 36 won't fit through the gate, I have a yard that have numerous landscape beds that make it too difficult to keep the 36 from blowing grass into them or the wheels from running up in them.

There are probably many more examples but those are the ones I have seen.

6. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

I have that setup, but I still carry one for backup or if the ground is wet. I have mulching and everything on mine and I don't have much of a problem with heels or anything. Most things I can just trim afterwards but I keep it around. If you have a good 36, you might get by on a cheap 21, you don't need an expensive on necessarily, but I like quality.

7. arhymer101

arhymer101 LawnSite Member

Oh! That makes sense to me now. I am going to pick one up next week! ha. thanks a lot guys.

8. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i dont carry a 21''

9. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I use my 36" on most yards but I do mow one little shack with like 1000 sgft of turf. It has to be bagged and the gate to the back is 28" wide. I can get the 36" in the front but with the bagger on the side it is very wide for a small area. Plus taking it off the truck to run it for 2 minutes to do the front yard does not make sense to me when I can just leave it on and only use the 21" on the yard.

10. Friel & sons

Friel & sons LawnSite Member

I carry one for when needed, but mainly because I have a small strip mall in a parking lot that has 1' strip of grass next to a 3' slope. I could use the trimmer, but because of the location it always has a lot of trash. So, I use the bagger to keep it looking cleaner.