Why does everyone carry a 21" push mower even if they have a 36" walk behind???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by arhymer101, Aug 12, 2009.

1. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of my yards are little swamps in the summer. These are in the highest paying places I have so, to not destroy them with the 300# 36" mower, I use my 22" Toro. It will still rut but in little 2 inch wheels not the big ones.

I do not charge more because I am already the highest charging LCO in the area and they just expect that I will do everything I can to make sure that they have the best looking place when I leave and not wreck the place.

I don't like it but that is the way it is and I will do what ever it takes to get it right!
  2. arhymer101

arhymer101 LawnSite Member

so I should look for a 21 inch with a bagger? about how much could a find a decent one for would you say?
  3. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

I try to avoid using mine
    Only have 2 yards I use it on
    one is too steep and small for anything else
    the other the customer pays extra for me to push his front yard
  4. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

You could get a new consumer grade toro/honda 21" for backup or light use for around $500-$600, or get a commercial grade 21" for around $1000-$1500.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Same here, my smallest is a 48"
  6. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, small places, and we have a few yards where the 36 is overkill... And we have old people who want lawn push mowed...
  7. Bob_n_weave

Bob_n_weave LawnSite Senior Member

I carry one but seldom use it. Better too have and not need, than to need and not have.
    Very easy to load and I have room so....
  8. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I carry my 21" in addition to my 36" because I have a yard or two thats just too much of a pain to put the gravely on. And in some places I can't get the Gravely into the backyard because the gates so small. I sometimes even enjoy using the 21" over the 36"
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm into my 16th season. I still carry a 21" for a couple of backyards and the bottoms of ditches. Whichever mower you buy just make sure it has Honda power. I believe Honda is currently making the best under 10 HP engines you can get right now. I just bought a Craftsman 21" LE mower and it has a Honda GVC 160 engine on it. It's a great little engine and it starts on the first pull every time.
  10. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

I like the Kawi for the bigger gas tank and more power, but Honda engines are quieter and I hear last a bit longer, but I use mine solo so I just like mine as it is.