why does it seem so many people want a diesel engine on their mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rons Rightway Lawncare, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious to why....?

I considered Diesels many times, but then I think of the troubles of getting it started again if I ran it out of fuel.... Having to carry jugs of gas for the smaller mowers, and jugs of diesel for the big mower.... Diesel fuel costs more than premium gasoline around here.... The mower itself costs considerably more to buy.....

I know diesel engines are supposed to last alot longer than gas, but as cheap as these gas engines are to just simply replace if needed, I think you would come out cheaper overall with gas over diesel once the diesel is worn out.... right?

Also seems like the mowers themselves are pretty beat by 3-4 thousand hours anyway, and I have heard of the gas engines common on ZTRs going that long with regular oil changes....????

2. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

Torque...it's all about power :weightlifter:

3. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello,:waving: 1/ reliable [ did i mention air cooled gas mtr issues such as head gaskets do a search. There r HUGE amounts]
    2/ better resale
    3/good fuel economy
    4/WAY MORE TORQUE than a gaser
    5/mower worth rebuilding
    6/ it is aknown fact and admitted by walker that u will go thru 3x gasers to 1x diesel etc
    7/discounts on fuel depending on laws 4 your state or country
    8/fuel beeding in most mowers is simple//extra fuel .Both items r only very minor 4 the added benefit.
    9/typically diesels only fitted to reasonably good machines.
    TOMO

4. lawnsbyrj

lawnsbyrj LawnSite Member

I choose gas because the Diesel mowers i have been around, the motors are GREAT but the mower it self will not hold up as long as the motor, the extra cost of a diesel over a gas will pay for a new motor if it fails before the mower itself is worn out, but those diesel mowers when new were bad boys but for the price id rather replace a gas mower every 5 years than keep a diesel for 10 years, I like to have new sometimes too

5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Yea unless you want to die and be buried with your engine (the mower is already gone) just trade mowers, who wants to run the same mower for 10 years anyway, get rid of them every three years and forget about it, you know it is tax deductable anyway.

6. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Diesels fuel composition is only 1/3 that of gas and life 2 or 3 times longer. Power is a lot more on the same hp. If you run both it doesn't take long to see the difference. We have 4 gas and 4 diesel and will be all diesel in the end.

7. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

I could not have said it better plus in our case we have a off road diesel fuel tank so the fuel is a bit cheaper than what gas would cost . Twj

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

but if you itemize your taxes, you can get your off road gas taxes back at the end of year...

I like the deisel for power, but in the area wher I currenly live, there is not a deisel sation within 10 miles of my house. Sorry but I wont travel more than 10 miles for a client, I sure as heck wont do it just for fuel....

Most newer deisels are self bleeding or have a manual bleeder so running out fuel is a non issue any more...

All it takes is one employee to mix up the fuels and you got some down time...

BNow if they could figure out a way to keep deisel from foaming whenyou fill......:)

9. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

but if you itemize your taxes, you can get your off road gas taxes back at the end of year////

This is true but when we have to buy for our farm tractor anyhow we already have it on hand in a storage tank here at the house and that way we do not have to go to the gas station ever day to fill our diesel mower up , only when we have to fill our truck up and refill our gas mowers at which time we also fill our 15 gal onboard trailer mounted gas tank. so that we can run a extra day with out going to the gas station

10. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I understand what alot of you meen when you say that you dont want your mower for like 10 yrs plus.
    I feel the same way as you...But like some have said the torque Is a great thing only If you need that extra power...(I Do) The fuel saving in 4 years, the trade In that you will get will be better.
    I ran out of fuel once with the Kubota...I just fill the ole gurl back up and she fired ...no priming...some diesels do not need to be blead if they run out of fuel. Long story short...If the diesel Is not too much more than the gas...I would stay will the diesel hands down.
    Daner