1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why Does My Exmark Dealer Screw Me?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasssin, Sep 9, 2004.

1. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer that is the only Exmark dealer around within a 60 mile radius screws me out of service and parts on the price but he was a slick salesmen. I bought my Lazer HP 48" 21 Kawi from him at $6700 which was the best price I could find anywhere near me. Now after buying blades, belts, air filters, oil and ordering the new anti blowout baffle from him that is listed for $30 msrp and he is charging me $65 PLUS FREIGHT..... I am sick of it. Sick of paying $19 for ONE Excalibur Extreme Blade, Sick of paying $50 for and air filter....etc etc etc

I now realize why he sells so many Exmarks, he sells them for cheap, and screws me on the parts that I need afterward to make all his money back.

But what am I to do.....

thanks again for letting me steam....
  2. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

Same with the dealer we bought are Lazer Z HP 52" from this year. He sold us the Z with the UltraVac for $7800 for the package which is $1500 less
    than the dealer that is 170 miles closer. He wants $18 for a blade. $80 for the deck belt and you wouldn't believe some of the other prices he has on stuff. I figure I could have paid $1500 more for the package and a few dollars less on parts or paid $1500 less on the package and worried about saving on parts later ? They will get the money they need someway or another. There is an Exmark dealer here in Oregon that claims they sell over 160 machines a year and their prices are even on parts and new machines. they are not high or low. They make a fair profit and they are very consistent.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Here's what you do. You click on this link... www.j-thomas.com , and ask them to send you a catalog. This has every part for your mowers that you will ever need (except maybe the anti-blowout baffle). Your $80 deck belt? That is an expensive one. It's $50.49 through this place. Ironically, it's only about 30 for the full sized 52" Lazer. Also, for belts, look around your town (or other nearby towns) for a wholesale manufacturing type place. We have one here, and belts, pulleys, etc. are real cheap. They even sell the wrapped belts like what the mule drive belts are. Anyway, when you get your catalog, don't even BOTHER with the dealer anymore, because you will save a TON of money. They ship it right out, and can even do overnight for you. Here's another example of their prics. I just bought a PTO switch for my Lazer from the dealer...26 bucks, and it came in an Oregon package (Exmark doesn't make PTO switches). I could have got it through J Thomas for 12. Now, many will say "Yes, but they are not original OEM parts." Fact of the matter is, many of their parts are BETTER than the originals. Over the late winter, we bought 6 sets of struts and pins (the L shaped pieces for Lazers that hold the back of the deck) , and some other things. Well, I was suprised to see how much HEAVIER these ones were, compared to the originals. They were much thicker. Anyway, they have all their prices and such right online, but they will send you a free catalog. I grab a couple everytime I walk into ours (about 45 minutes away) just to hand out to my friends. They (J Thomas) encourage you to take them. I hope this helps.
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

What runner said BIG TIME!!!

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Dealers predominately don't make a whole lot of money on the sale of new equipment (20% at best). The bulk of their yearly profit comes from their Parts & Service Dept. It's been like that since Day 1 btw.
  6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Would that be Ramsey-Wade? I have delt with them and almost bought a exmark tthp from them at an unheard of price. Only problem at that time was finding someone to do warranty work without driving 180 miles to get it done. I settled on a toro and 4 months later we had an exmark service center in our area. Oh well but I do love my toro and stole it from the dealer for an unheard of price. Any ways I think next season when I go buy a ztr I will check them out again.
  7. JohnElpers

JohnElpers Sponsor
    Male, from Novi, MI

Hello everyone, JThomas Parts here! An article from 2004; WOW! how did this one slip by without us thanking you! I am here to say thanks for Runners comment about our company and our parts. JThomas Parts makes sure our parts are equal or better than the OEM's. Some people will only order OEM parts so that's why we carry those too. Please check out our HUGE savings going on right now

Up To 90% off a lot of parts!

If you have any questions please call us: we will gladly help!

8. jhawk60

jhawk60 LawnSite Member
    from VA

Your link is FUBARed.
  9. JohnElpers

JohnElpers Sponsor
    Male, from Novi, MI

JLSLLC likes this.
  10. lotsagrass

lotsagrass LawnSite Senior Member

Order your parts online, do whatever work you can yourself and screw your dealer ;-)