Why does my mower stripe better with no bag?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tim1075, Jun 11, 2000.

1. Tim1075

Tim1075 LawnSite Member

When I cut with no bag I get much better stripes than I do with it on, why is that?

2. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Probably better air flow and vacuum.

3. trimmasters

trimmasters LawnSite Senior Member

My guess is there is restence caused by the bag. there for less air flow = less suction under the deck so the grass is not pulling to the direction you are going.<br>All the accounts I bag are so small you really can't tell how the stripes would go, for we have to back up over the same spot to get out.<br>

4. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

A rear bagger's cloth/poly type grass bag should be considered a routine maintenance item the same way as the underside of your mowing deck is, just not quite as often. I use a whisk broom once a week on the inside of mine to unclog the pores. If you've never done it, you may need to use a scraper to knock off major accumulations. You can also power wash these things which does a good job, but will render the bag out of service until it dries.<p>As a previous poster said, it's all about air flow. Deck design and bagging material work in sync to produce the maximum quality cut.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: turfquip dot com