1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why does Stihl offer both FS90R and FS110R trimmers??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sperho, Aug 30, 2006.

1. sperho

sperho LawnSite Member

Question in the title. They are the exact same weight, 2.4% difference in horsepower and at my local dealer, about 10% difference in price (110R is a little more mony). All other specs are equal on paper. Why would I pay extra for 0.03 HP?? Maybe the engine is a bit more refined in the FS90R vs the 110R because it's newer? Anyone in the know on this? Seems like these two models are essentially identical to me.
  2. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

The 100fx is a lot lighter but those two really are the same.:confused:
  3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

without looking it up, I believe the difference is in the costruction of the shaft. one is solid and the other is braided or something like that. end result is one is ok to use a brush blade and the other is not.
  4. sperho

sperho LawnSite Member

They are both solid shaft trimmers and thus, both will take metal blades.
  5. Precision

Ok now I looked it up.

the 110 series has the interchangable gearbox so you can put on the power broom, the scythe, the hedge trimmer attachments.

My dealer doesn't carry the 90 series. And I can tell you the 110 series is great. I own 4.
  6. sperho

sperho LawnSite Member

Well there you go! Thanks for pointing that out. That flexibility is worth the extra few bucks in my opinion...

edit: hmmmm.... this link shows the 90R being able to accept the interchangeable gear box attachments. :confused:
  7. Precision

well then I don't know. aside from the slightly large displacement on the 110 the interchange gearbox seems to be the only real difference.

maybe the bigger engine gives a longer durability rating???
  8. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

The only difference is engine displacement. You should see the 110 fased out. They both will take all of the gearbox attachments.
    The 90 has better trigger response than the 110.
    Both very nice units.:drinkup:
  9. sperho

sperho LawnSite Member

FS90R for me!
  10. karlgrooms

karlgrooms LawnSite Member

Just dug up an old post and....was wondering if anything has changed over the years??? ... Is the 110 worth it or would the 90 be just fine?