1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why Does The Force Cost The Same As Little Wonder?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr. Big, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Mr. Big

Mr. Big LawnSite Member
    from Erie PA

I run 13hp Little Wonders and demo'd a 13hp Force Billy Goat today. Nice blower; lighter and Aim & Shoot feature is great but it's all plastic.

That's fine if it holds up, however plastic is allot cheaper to manufacture than steel.

Plastic Billy Goat should be about $250 less expensive than all steel Little Wonder.

Price quoted for 13hp BG is almost identical to 13hp LW.:nono:
  2. southbound

southbound LawnSite Member

i would disagree that "plastic is allot cheaper to manufacture than steel". one can be in the metal fabrication business with the purcahse of a bender and welder, a relatively low cost capital investment. the design, engineering and large and intricate "injection molding die" needed for the Billy Goat probably cost in the neighborhood of a hundred grand or more. only after the cost of this expensive "injection die" is recoped, will the manufacturing cost of the plastic unit be less than the Little Wonder.
    the metal stamping dies used form the front and back plates on my 9hp Honda Lil' Wonder are cheap and primitive compared to an injection molding die. (the die must be able to be separated to extract the molded part). that's my two cents, southbound
  3. Mr. Big

Mr. Big LawnSite Member
    from Erie PA

Dude, I can buy a hunk of plastic; be it rake, garbage can, pen or whatever and the steel equivilent would be almost twice as expensive. Steel isn't cheap, I don't care how primitive the stamping; plastics are.

Price should reflect that.:nono:
  4. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Now thats the truth. You are paying for name not that the name means anything
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I got the older Billy Goat with the 13HP Honda on it and I think I would give $250 just to have the lighter blower. I don't know how it compares to Little Wonder but mine has the small tires and new ones have the bigger tires. And I like and use the operator controlled deflector that actually makes the unit more versatile.
  6. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

price of steel vs plastic in general........steel is more expensive obviously.

The plastic on the billygoat isn't just plastic used on your kids toys or something.

Fabricating the steel is cheaper then fabricating the plastic.

Plus...the Billygoat is lighter and out blows the little wonder, so why should they sell it for less. I sell both of them and have tested them side by side many of times, Billygoat wins. The rolling resistance difference alone takes the sale.
  7. Mr. Big

Mr. Big LawnSite Member
    from Erie PA

I'm not saying the LW is a better blower but the profit margin on the BG must be huge compared to the LW.

Pass some of those savings on to the customer.:nono:
  8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

"Mr. Big" , did you try to have 3 more letters, (two of them being the same) at the end of your ID but the Admins/Mods deleted it?
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

It will take a WHILE for them to sell enough of the force units to make up for the tooling costs for the plastic housings.

So in the long run they should do a lot better, and be able to keep the price at the same level for a longer period of time.

Anyways... have you worked them side-by-side?
    The Force is lighter and more powerful.
  10. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i know my profit on both is very similar.

It's amazing what consumers assume.

Maybe i termed a new phrase. Assumers......