1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why does the instructions say only use 2 times per year???

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Joey'sVee, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Joey'sVee

Joey'sVee LawnSite Member

I put out Haltz crabgrass preventer without nitrogen (see link) in the middle of February...

and was wanting to put it out again in the middle of March to control the bad crabgrass problem I had last year. I also wanted to use it again this fall to prevent the winter weeds I had this past winter. But the directions say (see link) to only put this out 2 times per year. It doesn't have fertilizer in it so I would like to use it pretty often until I get a thick green lawn without the crabgrass and weeds. Why can't I use it more than twice per year? Will it hurt my Bermuda if I use it 3 or 4 times this calendar year? :confused:

I bought this house about a year ago so I'm just now getting to use pre-emergent on the yard. The house is in Aiken, SC.

Thanks for all your help!!! I'm new to the site and hope you can help...I just want to use this more than twice this year and I don't understand why I can't. Thanks again! :)
  2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Halts?? Don't even use that garbage. Go to a Lesco or Home Depot (if they still carry the lesco brand) and get some Dimension. It'll work a lot better for you.

But, to answer your question. Scotts is marketed to homeowners. They tell you to only put a max of 2 apps is because pesticide manufacturers know that when they recommend a specific amount or a spreader setting, that most homeowners will always add more, or even double it. It goes back to the "if a little is good, more must be better" thinking. The pesticide manufacturers are trying to protect themselves from future litigation from over-application.

MILSINC LawnSite Member

He's absolutely right.. get your butt to Lesco and ask them the same question.. they'll set you up right.
  4. Joey'sVee

Awesome!!! Thanks for all the help!
  5. Joey'sVee

So could I put it down 5 or 6 times per year? If I cant find the Lesco?
  6. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

As far as chemicals go, the label is the law. If the label says no more than twice a year, then thats all you can do. Even though the product may be aimed at home owners, there's billions of dollars of research behind the products. If you exceed their recomendations, you do so at your own risk.
  7. Joey'sVee

I understand I do this at my own risk. But the questions is if I put this product down 5 to 6 times per year will it damage my burmuda or anything else bad happen?

MILSINC LawnSite Member

Joey, nobody here in good conscience could tell you that it would be ok to do so. . the fact is that you need a better product with professional advice in person (someone who is local or can visit your site, preferrably). It really does make a huge difference, and the pros can give you a range of options, and tell you precisely when and what to do.
  9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, it will damage your lawn. The Pre-M in Halts does have a well documented history of root pruning. If you can't find Dimension (dithiopyr) then look for something with Barricade (prodiamine). Some of your better lawn and landscape supply places should have it.
  10. mpflood

mpflood LawnSite Member

You should use it twice in the spring."My Opinion"

Read the label. It should state to rake out first.What it does is put a chemical
    barrier on the top of the dirt to prevent germination of crab grass seeds.
    Two types of Scotts products,one for use with grass seed and one without.

So "My opinion" again is rake out thoroughly april 1

apply sometype of pre emergent. May 1 apply again.

Keep in mind no more raking after april 1. It will break down barrier.

Lil animals will break barrier too when they dig.

Get a pro in there it will be really worth it :drinkup: