Why doesn't anyone like Grasshoppers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Benchmark, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Benchmark

Benchmark LawnSite Member

I'm currently looking at grasshoppers and scag midmounts. After reading all of the negative pub. grasshoppers get around here, I'm beginning to think twice about it. I'm in Oklahoma and mow mostly bermuda (short). Please geve me your input!

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed one did not do good on hills. and not a very good cut.

3. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

You can get the longest lasting engine money can buy on hop-kubota!!But I here everything falls apart around it.:confused:

4. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg LawnSite Member

I've run a couple grasshoppers. They are solidly built and cut very well. I have owned a front-mount and currently own a mid-mount. Very dependable. I have put my mid-mount through hell and back again and it runs great. It's heavy but most ZTRs are anyway.

5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Because there ugly.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

the current midmount grasshopper is i think a good machine.
    listening to opinions here, can be helpful. but one should realize that whats getting good press on the forum, an whats not change constantly.
    demo. if the cuts good,the hydros are good name,the motor is of proven vintage. then its probably a good machine.to make it a real good machine ,itll need one other thing . an operator that knows how to maintain it and how to get the max in performance out of it.my opinion that might be the most critical part.
    its whats missing from a whole lot of mowers that get bad press here. jmho

7. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I've owned three grasshopper front mounts in the past and the only reason I switched to midmounts was because the grasshoppers took up too much room on the trailer. I've not driven a midmount grasshopper except at Louisville at the Expo, but they are definitely quality machines and with the new decks deliver a quality cut from what I've heard. Grasshopper does not make junk. If you've got a good dealer who stands behind his equipment, go for it...............Lynn

8. tjg

tjg LawnSite Member

Same as what Lynn said, I to have had 8 front mount Grasshoppers and changed just to a Walker for the bagging and eXmark for the mid mount, when I did I hadn't got to try a Grasshopper mid mount but I will be doing so this year, the dealer I am dealing w/ now sales those brands above, I did forget I did get to demo a Grasshopper at the time it was the factory only one made expermint mower it was the 72" Mid w/ diesel and it would mow:blob4: but it was bigger than needed at the time 20months ago but not now, I would like to have a 72" along w/ the 60" mids and keep the Walker baggers. The biggest reason of the change eas the two dealer I had been doing business w/ 1 found out he was ripping me off big time, the 2nd was good and fair but to same to do any trading in and not to commercial driven but a customer so I dealt w/ them, the husband passed away and I had already started dealing w/ the new commercial dealer.

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have two Grasshopper midmounts and love them. Two of my friends who are in the mowing business tried mine, then they both went out and bought Grasshoppers also. I have toured the factory,(which is just north of Wichita, Ks.), and it is very high tech.
    Both of mine are diesels, and I bought them specifically for their ability to mow steep hillsides. They stick to hills better than any of my previous midmount ZTR's.
    Grasshoppers got somewhat of a bad reputation because of the Gemini trans. they used to use in all their mowers. Now, their heavier commercial mowers use the G2 system which is excellent. The lighter duty mowers still use the Gemini system. The Gemini system can survive lots of hrs of use, but when they go bad, replacement is somewhat expensive. I owned a 721D that racked up 3000hrs. before the Gemini system went bad. I think that is pretty impressive.
    If you have a good dealer that handles Grasshoppers, you should give them a look. :D

10. tjg

tjg LawnSite Member

Mowingman I have a quick question if you can tell me or not, as I said above I have demoed a G/H mid but at the time I had not been sold on a mid mount mower and did not notice. Ok my question is my eXmark will not react as quick as I would like when, say I am going down a slight incline it will just end up wanting to slide or react in the like, yes I have be running mowers long enough to know it just don't seem right and would like to know how the G/H mids act before I buy or demo again. THANKS.:cool: