Why doesn't it ever happen to me?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK, so what's the trick... is it just luck... or do I need to go somewhere for blessing or annointing?

Man it just burns me up how others just seem to trip and fall face first into the best deals on stuff. This NEVER-EVER! happens to me. Not unless of course it is something I don't want, don't need, just bought new, or don't feel comfortable investing in at the time.

To add insult to injury, just recently I have ran into 3 small tractors and 2 ZTR's. The most recent was a ZTR I would have really really like to have had some time back. Only 50 hours on it for 3K less than new.

:realmad:

So how do I learn or recieve the gift??? :confused:

2. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

same here man , if i carried a grand around in my pocket for 11 months and 3 weeks but on the last week i had to spend it thats when i would find something .:angry:

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, the next time I'm in NC you should come hang with me for a little bit. Maybe a little bit of my good luck will rub off on you. The last good deal I got was my DC with 29 hours for $4500.

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I tend to complain a little sometimes about deals that other people seem to get but all in all I think I run across some all along. I got my 81 Goldwing off a back porch of a customer......runs like a dream and ride it 2-3 times a week, been to the mountains a couple times on it already. With carb repair and timing belts and water pump I now have a grand total of $760.00 in it..............the radio even works.

The other day I had a little money in my pocket and ran across a guy that was in need of some quick cash. I bought a 14' fiberglass boat with a 25hp gas Evinrude, a Motorguide trolling motor, brand new Weldbilt swivel seats, galvanized trailer, new tires, spare tire and a new jack for $400.00. I think I can make a little money off this onepayup .

I need a little truck, something cheap on gas and looks don't matter. I think I found a little Mazda, older model, I can get for around 800.00 and it runs like a champ.

Keep your eyes and ears open, sometimes you might be surprised what you can find.

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

check pawn shops-some almost give aways here. some dont know the good stuff from the home owner stuff

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

You have to put in a lot of time to find good deals on things. Read the paper, sign up to be added on mailing list for local auctions, check ebay is another option. They are out there, you just have to spend the time looking.

7. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member

i agree.sometimes its more than luck.its more a matter of being observant.

best deal ive got was on a brand new 2 bag ultra-vac for my 44" exmark.
    got it on E bay for 750.00.funny thing was i was the only bidder.the thing usually list for 1899.00.was worried sick that it was "too good to be true"but the guy turned out to be very honest and helpfull.the ultra vac was for a 48" and he even looked up the part numbers for the 44" drive kit for me.that cost another 100.00 from my exmark dealer.

now if i could just get it on....looks like ill have to have the dealer do it.
    worst things to ever happen to me ,usually involve me having a wrench in my hand

8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree, sometimes you never know what you have till its gone. Good point Pete. Glad your back.

10. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

my "steal of a deal" came this fall, purchased two snowmobiles and enclosed trailer for $10.5K. I'm selling of one of them since I have no use for it, and with that money i should walk out with my "new" sled for $3.5K when its worth about $5.5K.

one of my buddies always gets the deals. bought a 4x4 quad with plow for $900, a 87 Chevy 3500 w/ 12' dumping rack body for $1200, his 94 f350 diesel mason dump w/ 9' plow for $12K (2 years ago). everything is always in good to great condition, gah! i wish i had half his luck.

This week i missed out on a toyota i've been looking for a couple months. 93 Taco, 4x4, 5sp, 124K miles, original owner... $2K!!! I thought my ship had finally come in. Guess I gotta keep a sharper eye. sucks don't it!