Why Don't Manufacturers Make Trimmer Shaft Extenders?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TwistedSister, Jun 5, 2008.

1. TwistedSister

TwistedSister LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Dont you think trimmer makers should make a trimmer lenght extender? I was thinking of something that you could just take of the gearbox, bolt on a 1 foot piece of shaft and then put the gearbox back on. Of course it would have to come with a extra foot of drive shaft that would hook up or a longer shaft all together. I use a redmax 2601 and its not horrible to use ( im 6' 1") but it would be nice if it were longer. I know tanaka makes a long shaft trimmer but I think this would be even better b/c it could be taken off or put on depending on the operator. I dont think it would be too expensive for a major manufacturer to make and sell. What do you all think?

2. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

should be easy. if they set it up like the stihl kombi system. wouldnt be hard at all.

3. bare31

bare31 LawnSite Member

great idea!!!

4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the same thing, but when I was in a small equipment shop in Medford just before we moved recently, they had a 3' long - or so - extension for Echo.

To extend the implement, which in my case, is the chainsaw power pruner.

The extension was very inexpensive too - like $40 or so. Maybe less.

5. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

Didn't you know? They're in league with Chiropractors...

6. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

They still make it. A 36" extended reach piece wouldn't particularly be of use in this application I don't think. I'm sure if extended reach trimmers take off, Echo will come out with one!

7. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

i was thinking the other day i wish they made one you could adjust the angle on - i was thinking added length would mean added weight - but a foot of shaft woudln't hurt

8. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on how much shaft you want to add.
    Add too much, and you need a bigger engine or you create a vibration problem.

9. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I sent a suggestion to Stihl last week asking them to make an extra long trimmer attachment for the kombi units. Maybe EVERYONE should do the same thing and we might get somewhere with this. As far as I know, Tanaka is the only one making a trimmer for tall people.