Why don't more people use Kubota ZTRs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RickO, Dec 31, 2005.

1. RickO

RickO LawnSite Member

It seems Kubota makes a good ZTR for less money than Exmark and SCAG yet you rarely see them used commercially.

I am looking at a Kubota ZD25F - 25hp diesel w/ 60" cut for $10,200. I am going to try to do about 15 accounts per week and my own 5 acres of grass. Does this seem like a decent rig for that?

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

For most on here the kubota is a little slow at 9.5mph tops, if you are the type to cut at full speed then you need more than that for adequate productivity. Other than that, I havent seen a single kubota dealer locally, nearest one I think is 50 miles from me. Dealer support plays big when you are buying one of these machines. How good is the dealer, is it a quick drive for you? Anyway, the mower sounds like a good deal and the engine on it will last longer than anything else on it.

3. newmanfan

newmanfan LawnSite Member

That's a good question-

Prior to owning my landscape company, I was in the equipment business and sold Kubota.

The machine you are looking at is fantastic, make sure you get the pro deck, it's worth the extra money.

The main reason I saw people buy other brands (we sold Hustler too,) is the price. The other reason, for our area in particular, was the set up of the landscapes. Most guys run walk behinds.

But comparatively speaking, the Kubota offers some great features, the shaft drive deck, the deck jack for easier servicing, diesel engine, hydraulic clutch deck engagement, and the shaft drive hydro transmission. Also, being diesel, it's liquid cooled, quiet, great on fuel, and offers quite a bit of torque; great for Northwest conditions/thick wet turf. It also gave great dispersal.

We typically sold them to upper-end homeowners, municipalities/institutions.

This will be a great machine for your application, and the price you are getting is great.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

In my area, the only dealers for them are the International farm tractor dealers and they just dont seem to push them hard. One guy in town has one and seems to like it and it cuts ok.

5. newhort

newhort LawnSite Member

I'v got a ZD 25 with 60" deck and love it. Make sure to get the pro deck by all means. It will take a liitle getting adusted to the transmission. It feels different than most zero turns. But with suspension seat and the front axle it is a great ride. With plenty of power.

6. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

.... I have one of the later Kubota ZTR 60s with Pro deck and the 4 year warranty and there is nothing I can complain about. It takes a little getting use to when greasing it Ref: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=1100839#post1100839 .

....I fly on mine. There's nothing slow about it at all. You can only cut grass just so fast and any faster I would have to hold on to a rodeo bull strap :eek: :).

7. RickO

RickO LawnSite Member

I'll keep the Kubota on my short list then.

Kubota
    Exmark
    Grasshopper 322D

I really want something with the Kubota diesel.

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I bought a new ZD21 when they first came out and it was way way under powered. Later found out it was the deck design because my 20 hp with 60" deck ran circles around the diesels in heavy or wet grass. Sold it in less then a summer and bought the hopper with the kabota gas engine. Same engine as the diesel except for the head and its awesome. And so is the out front deck.
    I don't know if I would spend the money on another bota product, I don't like being there guinea pig at over 10k

9. RickO

RickO LawnSite Member

Here's to hard working americans and our soldiers that are fighting for this, still, great country.:drinkup:

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Hah, now that you mention it, I dont think kubota products are made in america are they? =JAPAN...