why don't nematodes....

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Organic a go go, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

exist in sufficient numbers in healthy soils to control grubs?

2. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

predation?? why are the grubs there in large numbers any ways???

3. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

what feeds on nematodes? Other nematodes?

4. treegal1

oh.... im going to have a drink for a minute.........

5. treegal1

gogo, you can grow your own, if you want

6. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't have their food there(grubs) would they be there? Up by me I don't think the little guys overwinter very well either.

7. treegal1

The nematode species are very difficult to distinguish. Of the pseudocoelomates, the nematodes are the most common. Nematodes have successfully adapted to nearly every niche from marine to fresh water, from the polar regions to the tropics, as well as the highest to the lowest of elevations. They represent, for example, 90% of all life on the seafloor of the Earth. Though 20,000 species have been classified it is estimated that this number might be upwards of 500,000 if all were known. In certain fertile areas the topsoil is estimated to contain in the billions of nematodes per acre.

pls Get some facts first please, we dont want to stear someone WRONG, like DGL, JK
    LOL

please help,
    http://www.surfrider.org/

8. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

TG your 100% right but, he was specifically asking about the ones that control grubs.

9. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Research I did said most the beneficial ones for insect control only live 6 months or so (at least for shelf life). They don't live in the soil too long either? In one thread bill linked a site that linked tons of suppliers.. that's where I got the info. Maybe read into those more?

10. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

They have fungi in their gut that paratises the grub, obviously not all nematodes are made equal. some say it works some say it doesn't.

In general there are
    bacterial eating nematodes
    fungal eating nematodes
    root feeding nematodes
    nematode eating nemtodes

and I guess some that like to munch on grubs and the like, if there are that many species than I am sure that there must be nematodes that will eat everything

Old girl friends or ex wives maybe !!!!:)