1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Why don't people mind their own dang business

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by exmarkking, Jan 23, 2013.

1. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

What part of AL are you from, I grew up there and new what a HOA was when I was in high school. You're always talking as if you live on the end of a 10 mile dirt road and never go to the other end to see the stop sign.

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i've lived in georgia and alabama my whole life and never heard of them. i guess they are out there but i've never personally had any experience with them. i lived right outside of atlanta and never heard of them growing up. i mean i don't drive around the whole city of atlanta seeing what all is there. i just stick to my area i live in lol. i never saw an hoa at the georgia dome or anything lol. maybe there is an area here that is an hoa. i just don't know about it. i'm not a member of an hoa and never have been. to me it would just be another neighborhood.

from the sound of it an hoa is something i never wanna deal with. :laugh:

3. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

I live around the ATL and live in one. They are all over the place. No way of really knowing which neighborhoods are HOA unless you research them or hear from another person though.

I got a letter from the HOA letting me know I had a small weed (1-2inches) growing in the crack of my driveway and the next notice I received would be a fine.

4. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

They are everywhere here also, most are a real pain, but they CAN be a source of revenue. I recently learned that if you live an neighborhood with one you ARE REQUIRED TO PAY DUES, they have the power to put a lein on your property if you don't.

5. knox gsl

That's funny because my neighborhood has one as well. No one keeps their property up and less than half the home owners pay the $35/year fee.

6. Adamp247

Adamp247 LawnSite Member

Yep. There's HOA's all around me in N. AL. They don't do whole-neighborhood mowing though, they're really relaxed. They just make sure people aren't letting grass grow 5 feet or have trash around their house. I've worked in some neighborhoods that had HOA's and never had a problem.

7. cpllawncare

I didn't say they are required to but CAN if they so choose, at least here maybe not everywhere.I'd imagine it depends on who the head of the HOA is and the status of the neighborhood, the higher end it is the more picky they tend to be.

8. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

I pay 800/year for dues which is a complete rip off. To be honest, my HOA is not all that picky. I have a retired guy like 3 houses from me who drives up and down the street slowly while writing 'infractions' so he can report them

9. cpllawncare

I'd find out what happens if you don't pay the fee, if nothing quit paying the fee, LOL

10. knox gsl

I wish mine were stricter. Most of my immediate neighbors keep their place up nice, but some of the ones on the next street over and at the front of the neighborhood live in crack houses.
    Posted via Mobile Device