Why don't the pro's use Chevys?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by FDuce, Mar 19, 2009.

1. FDuce

FDuce LawnSite Member

I don't want this to be a brand bashing thread...but I'm sure it will become that but here is goes anyway...

Indiana is a hot spot for trailer manufacturers of all types. I've noticed that they hire private drivers to transport trailers. 99.9% of these private drivers use either a Dodge or Ford diesel dulley. Why no Chevys? Is it an engine thing or maybe because Chevys don't have a solid front axle? Also a side observation, you don't see them being used for competition pulling either.
  2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

its usually just personal preference!
    ive owned all three. Started with a ford and know im back to ford!
  3. atasteofnature

atasteofnature LawnSite Senior Member

I have noticed that as well being up here in northern indiana around the trailer factories and nothing but dodges pulling. I did see one chevy the other day though. I am thinking about a diesel and don't know if I am going to stick my chevy or go with my first love the ford.
  4. Gold86

Gold86 LawnSite Member

It is probably because Dodges and Fords (7.3) have the best engine when it comes to reliability and lasting the longest when used on daily basis.
  5. vinny69

vinny69 LawnSite Member

they use ford and dodge because then it leaves them something to dream about and that is owning a Chevy
  6. atasteofnature

atasteofnature LawnSite Senior Member

So thier pulling truck is a ford or dodge but thier daily toy truck at home is thier chevy? :)
  7. ruffs

ruffs LawnSite Member
    from md pa

I drive a Chevy, Ford is a little cheaper. Dodge as a cult following. most ppl i know use ford $2000 cheaper. and a lot of ppl think dodges straite axel 4x4 is better for plowing (less chance of braking) . I know a concreat guy that bought 35 new 06 powerstrokes he had so many probemes with all of them in the first month he sent them all back and bought gmc.
  8. ruffs

ruffs LawnSite Member
    from md pa

thats how i see it
  9. FDuce

FDuce LawnSite Member

So you would buy inferior equipment just so you could dream about owning nice stuff? These guys are buying/using Ford and Dodge for a reason, I want to know what that reason is. I wouldn't think they would buy one over the other just to save $2000 when they rely on it to provide for their families.
  10. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

This thread is going no where fast lol. Its all personal preference. Some people are brand loyal, others look for dealer support, and some people just look at price. THe Public service and energy here uses all fords. From 250's to the 750's. Verizon uses chevy/gmc vans along with the larger 550 trucks. A large road developer (i think) Sanzari, uses mainly ford trucks. I'm pretty sure they have thousands of them. I use gm because they look nice, inside and out, their reliable, and my dealer support is there.