Why Don't they Skip a Cut!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fareway Lawncare, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Every Year I see More & More Morons attempting to Run a Lawn Maint. Biz....

The Practice of Killing a Healthy Lawn By Cutting Short in Summer Heat then continuing to Cut an obviously Burnt & Yellow Lawn Weekly seems to be becoming More Prevalent this year as a New Bumper Crop of Scrubs has descended !

2. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Just goes to prove anybody can mow grass, but it takes a little brains to run it as a business and do well.

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Nothing like trying to explain that to your customers too. Especially when they're on a flat fee.

This year we're having some pretty dry, windy weather for this early. Usually isn't like this until around August. I've already started skipping things, or dropping them to every 9-10 days anyways, and of course they're out there, not wanting to pay.

4. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

rant rant rant rant rant, lol I see a new lco in my area almost every day, and a car with a lowes special and a trailer almost every other day. But seldom do I see the same guys the next year. Man was did I look like a scrub starting out, I had a big ol 4x4 with a bumper off a 60's school bus, my 18ft trailer with no drop ramp but car ramps, and on that trailer was a lone 36inch mower and 21inch mower. Before that I had a s10 and a yardman 21inch, mtd rider, and homelite weed eater - no blower - and whats edging? Before that - radio flyer wagon and sams special with a homelite weedeater- scrub city, but it got the job done, and I was able to buy the nicer stuff and the job still gets done.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

thing is, they shouldn't skip a cut, they should cut higher throughout the whole season.

6. LwnmwrMan22

You can only cut so high, and if there's nothing but sun and wind, no rain, the grass is still going to dry out.

If you cut any higher than 4-5", which no one really can, your tire tracks just lay down anyways, and those burn out even faster.

7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

I Would Guess These Lawns are Cut @ 2"....They are Yellow/No Green & These Bozos Keep Cutting....I'll post a Pic of One of Ours Cut @ 3.75"/Green & Growing NeXt to One of the New Bumper Crop of Scrubs "Accounts"....

The Homeowner Lawns Look Better because at Least They Don't Cut them Weekly When the Drought Hits!

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Why dont these owners get out the sprinklers for pete sake! But then all my accounts have irrigation systems.

9. LwnmwrMan22

I look for accounts that don't have sprinklers, that way I know they're going to burn out. It's in my contract that the grass will stay between 3-5" on 90% of the property, so if there's one little area where it's growing, I don't necessarily have to cut it, but I usually will, just that area.