Why Even Remove Leafs?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by N.H.BOY, Nov 9, 2004.

1. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a customer last week that had told me at her sons house, he does not rake his leafs, but he mulches them when he mows. She then asks me why he does this and why do everyone removes leafs off their lawns?? Well I told her my thoughts. And so I was wondering if you guys can come up with some answers,, and see if I gave the right one.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

because I make more money removing them :p
  3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

The customer asks me to remove the leaves from their lawn so I do it. If they asked me to mulch their lawn I could and would do that too. If they ask me to spray their lawn I would do that. If they ask me to fertilize their daughter I would do that too. Basically I do whatever the customer asks me to do if they pay me of course.
    We have a customer that we used to do full service for the last two years, this year he decided to cut his own lawn (2 acres) he mulched his lawn then after his wife complained he called us to do the cleanup with our Walker. There was just way too many leaves and the turf is way to thin to hide that amount of leaves. The property is all maples and pine trees, completely shaded pretty hard to hide that much.
  4. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

The grass becomes thin and weak, plus will suffocate if they dont remove it or mulch it really fine so it can fall between the grass strands.

Cantoo.....you made me laugh so damn much with the "fertilize" portion of your post......damn, that was soooo funny.

Tiedeman, you are right on.....nature brings us money every season.
  5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Also, with the volume of leaves I have, I don't really believe it is good for the lawn to leave all those leaves on the grass chopped up and mulched. Lots of my yards have many many trees, and a ton of leaves to take care of. I'm not sure where all the remains would go to, they would cover the grass!

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

This is a big part of why mulching won't always work. You can only hide so much in so little.
    A lot of lawns could just be mulched, but the people that are calling for leaf clean ups, usually have a LOT of leaves and to try to hide that many in their grass just won't leave a clean look. You're gonna smother what grass is there.
  7. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

I informed my customer that air needs to get to the grass and "breath" to grow for the spring time, and also I told her if she wants I can mulch the leafs next year, and Ill up her price a bit since my zero turn will be sucking up gas. She has no daughter though :p
  8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Problem I have is the city has been urging people to mulch the leaves in order to decrease the amount of leaves they pick up from the street. They sent out fliers touting the positive affects of mulching leaves into the grass, and put ads in the newspaper. So I've had people asking me to mulch them left and right, and I've got to take the time to explain to them that it's not necessarily true, especially with some of the ground cover many yards have. The city is broke and trying to eliminate services left and right to save money. Next year they want to get rid of curbside pickup as well. This in a city that has for years claimed to be "The City of Trees."

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, depending on what types of trees they have or leaves they have blow in, if the leaves are that heavy, it can mess up the soil PH by raising the acidity, too. Oak trees, for instance are good for this.
  10. The LawnSmith

The LawnSmith LawnSite Member

Mulching grass acts as a fertilizer of sort, (quality is dependent upon the type of grass). Zoysia or Burmuda as an example, over time will build thatch if not periodically bagged,which will block root growth unless dethatched and aerated. Leaves on the other hand will build a blocking effect quicker than thatch and is detrimental to root growth. Besides, a heavy leaf supply won't disappear into the lawn as grass will, and most customers arent satisfied with it either. I bag yards in the fall and add the debris to my compost pile and add organic materials to it throughout the winter (food scraps, coffee grounds), and till it on occasion. (Grass clippings or leaves won't rot as quickly alone unless other organic materials are added). It makes a great garden accoutrement for spring and I ussually have enough to dress several flower beds with it.