Why eXmark?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by mrac, Nov 28, 2005.

1. mrac

mrac LawnSite Member
    from 06032

I'm a newbie to this board, and have a question for you folks. I have been shopping around for a new mower. I currently use a 21" Honda for my lawn which is just under an acre. My primary needs are to cut down the time it takes (currently 2.5 hours), improved quality of cut, and limited mntce.

I have used my neighbors 48" Scag belt and was obviously impressed in every regard. In my area, I have visited dealers for Scag, Exmark, Bobcat, Hustler, and Ferris. All of them appeared to be very knowledgeable and have service depts that were very reputable.

For the most part, I will be using my new unit for my own property, and occasionally for friends/neighbors, etc.

Exmark is very popular in this area with the local landscapers. While I do not plan on using my unit to the degree that they do, I obviously want something that will be durable, easy to use, and last a long time.

So, any suggestions for a walk behind???

Thanks to all!

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Get a ztr. A lot more fun to use, you'll get done faster, and you get to ride instead of walk or stand on a sulky. It would be more money but well worth it in my opinion.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

For only under and acre though, the regular maintenance and the overall greater cost of it would be too much and not worth it for that small of a property IMO. I would find a 48-52" WB Hydro and floating deck, put a double wheel sulky on it and youll be set. eXmark TTHP would probably work great in your application. Good luck. Just my .02

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I don't think it matters a great deal about which brand when you are asking just 'in general' when all of your local dealers appear to be good. However, when it comes right down to it, if you are in a large area with a lot of professional landscapers, this is about the only time "what the Jones' have" is actually of much importance.

You said this yourself...

So that should tell you something about the preferred dealer and machine in your area.

As for suggestions for a walkbehind... most of us have a bunch of suggestions.
    So you will have to help us help you narrow things down a bit.

What's the budget?
    What size cut?
    How much power?
    Will you want a sulky/velky so you don't have to walk?
    How is your health?
    What kind of condition are your arms/wrists/hands in?
    Would you also be considering a rider if the price is close?

Anyways, everything eXmark makes in a 32" cut and above is durable, easy to use, and will last a long time.

5. mrac

mrac LawnSite Member
    from 06032

Thanks for your responses. Very insightful. As for more specific info, here goes...

What's the budget? - Around 3k (ish).
    What size cut? - 48", but would consider 36" also.
    How much power? - Model specific, but I don't want to be undersized
    Will you want a sulky/velky so you don't have to walk? - Walking is no problem, but may add on later.
    How is your health? - Good (Don't mind walking behind a mower for a few hours...)
    What kind of condition are your arms/wrists/hands in? - Good
    Would you also be considering a rider if the price is close?[/I][/I] - Probably not primarily b/c of mntc, size, etc.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Well, I might be wrong, but I believe you can get a new eXmark Metro ECS w/15hp Kawasaki and a 48" without killing the budget. Visit your dealer and get a quote.

The only thing is that this will be a fixed deck gear drive machine with belts.
    The exmark floating deck hydros are a lot more than that.

I know it's rude to suggest other options here in their forum, so I won't.
    But if you want a hydro drive walkbehind, eXmark is not likely to get your business anyway at that budget.

So I will just say be sure you check your private messages for that info.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Well, if you need that info then post an e-mail address I can use or use the e-mail function here to send me one. I tried to send the info by private message, but I guess you haven't been a member long enough to have that privilage or you have selected NOT to recieve them.

8. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

9. BENTLEY'S

BENTLEY'S LawnSite Member

MRAC
    If your budget is only $3000.00 get the Metro!
    It will last you the rest of your life if you are only doing your own home. It will cut your time from 2.5 hours to 40 minutes. Talk to your dealer. He may throw in a sulky to close the sale.

Bentley's

10. mrac

mrac LawnSite Member
    from 06032

Thanks.

Just curious...what would a 36" Hydro (Viking) go for, approx? Wondering if it's anywhere near the 48" Metro gear drive.

Thanks again!