Why Ford Ranger?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by nherweck, Feb 28, 2008.

?

Which truck?

1. 2008 w/ 0 miles

12 vote(s)
    41.4%
  2. 2000 w/ 10,000 miles

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
  1. nherweck

nherweck LawnSite Senior Member

I've noticed this A LOT. When I considered getting a smaller truck a while back, I saw that most LCOs that have a mini truck (with the flatbed/landscape bed), drive FORD RANGERS. Is there a specific reason as to why they do this? I had a Dodge Dakota, and now have a Chevy 1500 (19 years old!), but am considering a Ranger when I end up moving back to Cali.

Are there more pros than cons with the Rangers?

Another thing, what would be better on my behalf? A 2000 Ranger with 10,000 miles at $6,000, or a 2008 Ranger with 0 miles at $12,500?

2. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

a guy by me bought a beat up 6 cyl stick from the vermont parks and rec division think its a 02 had to put a few hundred in

i think he paid 400 bucks.. put a plow on it and beat it soundly for a few years allready
    they are actually a pretty durable machine..gets decent mileage...

3. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

For new trucks, the Ranger is a lot cheaper, and has a good track record. There are many more used ones to choose from too. I work for the Region, and visit the garages, and the mechanics recommend the ranger too. I'm a Chevy guy, but for work, seem to like the fords better. With ford, new, you can delete the box too, saving some money.

4. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Ranger is the only true compact truck available now. All the others may have compact bed payloads but are bigger, wider, burn more gas and are more expensive. IMO compacts aren't very useful in this business, but if you are going to buy one the Ranger is probably the one that makes sense.

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Rangers are cheap to buy , cheap to run . an 00 with 10k ? I would be wondering if the speedo was detatched for a while . Possibly pay$3500 for it , not much more.

6. nherweck

The 2000 was used as a backup truck for a cable-installation company. They also have 2001 with 35k miles for the same price, but I figured the 10k is like new.

I'm trying to figure it out. I have an 88 Chevy 1500 that burns gas, so I was thinking something smalled might work better for myself.

Thanks!

7. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

You can buy a 08' Ford Ranger for $12,500?????? I didnt realize they were that cheap. With a 6 cylinder??

8. nherweck

My local dealer said he can get me a 2008 Ford Ranger 4cyl Auto for just under $12,500. I wanted the 4cyl to save gas, as I wouldn't be towing with it. The equipment would be in the truck bed.

Keep in mind, that's a completely stock truck, with ONLY A/C, no power windows, no cd player, no liner, etc. But for a work truck, it's a great price.

9. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

With a landscape flatbed on that, how much weight could you put on it?

10. nherweck

LDH - I really don't know. Does anyone else know??