Why get licenced/insured???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by greggory007, Oct 6, 2006.

1. greggory007

greggory007 LawnSite Member

The title says it all! I am thinking about getting licensed/insured soon and i was wondering what was soo good about it because it is gonna cost me alot of money!

2. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

YEA!!! And taxes suck too!! Fight the power!! Dude...if you wanna be in business...treat it like a business (which you obviously are--because you said you were going to get it) Thats really it. Insurance is what it is...insurance. And...I kinda think the legal thing speaks for itself

3. NothingLess

NothingLess LawnSite Member

i guess you look at it just like your house and vehicle insurance...yeah for the last 6 years i have paid state farm at least 200 a month for cars...

200 X 72= 14,400 dollars but have yet to do a claim...

you basically look at it like a house.. you can insure it or not but the second a tree falls and messes it up a its your cost to fix or lose the house or b u have the insuarnce there to back you up...

with mowing there are so may little things that can happen that cause a major expense...its just a chance you have to take..just like my parents neighbor have never had there house insured and have yet to have an issue but my parents have had a few from the storm but was ones they didnt have to replace but choice to after the hurricane and since they were insured...

4. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

A business License keeps the I.R.S. off your back. If you caught not paying or filing taxes they can make your life miserable. :) If your are'nt going to have insurance 99.99% of most commercial customers you won't get. What are you going to do if equipment gets stolen,you break a window,hurt someone or have an accident on someones property, no insurance and your Liable out of your own pocket. Accidents do happen. Get insured and get a business Tax I.D. #. It does'nt cost that much REALLY:)

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

lots of things that are required to run a business cost a lot of money. Get used to it... and charge accordingly.

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I think its easier being legal when you advertise so you dont have to worry about your name getting into the hands of someone with the fed. goverment. Probably don't take to long to check and see if "jimbobs lawn service" is a legally registered company.

Also, should you have any run ins with the goverment or with a customer, it will look better for you. If you get taken to court for not paying taxes on your earnings, do you think your customers will still want you. I know in my area they wouldnt!! Just my $.02

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

You do not need insurance to get into this business---------- Only to keep you from going out of business, (or worse)

"because it is gonna cost me alot of money!"----- No No NO!! it does not cost , It saves!!

You are making decisions now that will determine weather you are a grass cutter making 10K - 20 K a year or being a business man than happens to maintain landscapes as his business and makes very good money
    So what do you think about doing this business right???

8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I have a feeling you are just another inflamatory troll, but the reason is:
    you are not a legit business if you don't follow those basic tenets of being in business and deserve the bad things that happen to you for not having them. And hopefully your lack of conscience and concern for yourself and others won't harm too many others.