why get the w/b instead of a z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by challenger55, Apr 26, 2003.

1. challenger55

challenger55 LawnSite Member

hey guys, i was just wondering why about every lawn business in town has a toro w/b instead of a z-masters. i notice that a hydro cost around $4500 and a z-100 cost about $5000. plus for the hydro you would get a sulky and those cost around $200-400. so why don't they just get the z-100 for a little extra and get 2+ hp and 2mph faster
  2. Old 5 LawnCare

Old 5 LawnCare LawnSite Member

I dought a 52" Turf Tracer (walk Behind) for the simple reason that I am picking up quite a few new jobs.
    Seams a few of the customers I've gotten lately were using someone who had a Z and did not like the service. For example, my neighbor has someone cut hers, he has a z, mow's at about 50mph and he's done in 10min. He never picks up sticks (hard to do when your sittin on a z), and he always cuts a big radius between my yard and hers (which I have discussed with him the importance of keeping the F*$# off my yard).
    Dont get me wrong, z's are great and the sooner you get done, the sooner you can get to the next job, but I thing mant are trying to let the equipment do it all.
  3. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

I'm pickin' up a hydro walk behind to replace my Toro Z that only has about 300 hours on it... The Z runs great, but just too heavy for the soft conditions on the Oregon coast.... I bet I can mow faster with the w/b than trying to be so careful with the Z...

We'll soon see... Clay
  4. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

I have run toro and when i was lookingat the zrt's ( I got a hustler), my dealer said that the Toro 100 series zrt's have a lot of the same parts as a Toro Time Cutter (the homeowner version of a z). Just something to think about. Also, on smaller lawns I think a wb is a better choice.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

The answer t o your question is quite simple...versatility. A ZTR cannot go all the places a WB can.
  6. yourlawnguy

yourlawnguy LawnSite Member

I agree with Old 5 LawnCare and Rodfather, I hear alot of people complain about " Those guys on their big ride on mowers". People complain that they are too heavy and leave ruts and that the guys run them too fast so I'm using W/B's. Most of my lawns are 1/4 acre or less anyway.
  7. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Had my first full day on a Z Friday.Man talk about production! The only drawback (which is big in my situation) is the quality of cut on terrain that is not flat.The Z left high spots while I was going over uneven terrain.IMHO they are great for large open areas but I would keep my wb for the smaller,tighter resi lawns where my clients require a high level quality cut on less than flat areas.
  8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I owned a 52" Lazer Hp and it was a very nice machine. I used it on my bigger areas and used the w/b on the smaller areas. Sometimes I would use both machines on one property. The problem was I had to maintain 2 machines. Now I have an Exmark Turftracer Hp with a steerable sulky and it can do everything my Z would do plus now I only maintain 1 machine. Z's are good machines but for my paticular situation ( a lot of slopes), a w/b and sulky do the best for me. I guess if all I did was wide open flat areas, I would have kept the Z.