Why have you not joined the AOLP yet????

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by JoeyD, Jan 30, 2008.

1. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

So who here on Lawnsite that reads and participates and has a lighting buisness weather your a Contractor, Designer, Distributor, or Manufacturer has not yet joined the AOLP and WHY??

What is holding you back from making the decision to join??

2. indylights

indylights LawnSite Member

Because we know it's business, not buisness, whether not weather, and you're, not your. Other than that, no reason. (Just kidding. I was an
    English major, so yes I am a geek)

3. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey Joey, don't you use Firefox as your browser? It has a spell check (plug-in or came with the program, can't remember which) that underlines misspelled words in red so you can correct them.

As far as joining... sorta been there and done already that with other organizations over the years. I was president and/or education chairman and/ or delegate to the statewide org. for a gardeners' association for about seven years back when I was doing landscape maint. in the 80's.

You know how they say 10% of the people do 90% of the work? Well, I was always in that 10% until I got burned out.

I've also been in and out of CLCA two or three times, but didn't like it as much. All the emphasis on awards that seemed to go to the same people who didn't really deserve them - I know because one of my maint. accounts (when I took a break from self-employment) got an award we didn't merit... and just too much personal politics.... lots of ego clashes among self-employed contractors, ya know?

So I'm still reluctant to join. I'll probably soften my stance though...

4. eskerlite

eskerlite LawnSite Member

Plus Bill L. Doesnt approve!
    Sean C.

5. JoeyD

I always forget to spell check. I tend to type too fast!

Thanks for your response Gregg........so answer the question Indy.........

6. irrig8r

Well, Sean...

I notice the website doesn't have a public page yet entitled "History of the AOLP" or "Our Background" or "How The AOLP Came To Be", now does it?

I'm not impuning anyone's integrity, but I suppose in some ways I'd prefer an organization that was more true to its founder's intents and purposes...

But then, of course, I wasn't there and rely only on hearsay, so how about those of you who were there in the early days... write that page.

7. JoeyD

Hey Gregg why not focus on the present and future of this orginization instead of picking apart its past. The AOLP is not the LVLIA anymore in so many ways. The industry has progressed tremendously since the time the LVLIA was originally founded. It is time to take this associating to the next level and welcome all people in the outdoor lighting realm. Sure having a history and time line is cool but why would you let the lack of history on the website or the fact you were apart of OTHER associations that forced you to do all the work keep you from joining an association dedicated to what it is you do?

I know you split your time between irrigation and lighting so you have more associations like CLCA and others to consider but for lighting guys this association is really the only one around. If this advice is truly some that would make you more comfortable with joining then I commend it, but in my opinion new members should be more focused on where this association is going and what the purpose of it is today and how it will help them today. To focus attention on the history doesn't always encourage progression. Again I think the AOLP should have something that shows who and why it was founded, but I wouldn't let the lack of it keep me from joining? But I do appreciate and acknowledge the saying you cant know where your going if you don't know where your from!

Just sparking conversation I suppose.

8. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Sean really.... showing a bit of respect for the Man, his life and his accomplishments once in a while would be nice, and professional.

If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all.

How much time did you spend in personal contact with Bill Locklin back then? Did you even know the man? Do you really have any understanding of what his 'vision' for the Association was? Don't be so quick to pass judgements or form opinions based solely upon second hand information.

9. irrig8r

Sorry Joey...

Sean's comment pushed a button with me, just as I suppose my reply did with you.

Sometimes contractors and manufacturers' and distributors' interests are the same, like when it comes to opposing some local or state restrictions that would prevent us all from doing business.

Other times our interests naturally diverge, like when one discovers that certain (at least two AOLP member) distributors decide to offer products to DIYs and consumers online at a significant discount from list.

If we as contractors/ designers/ installers should happen to let manufacturers and distributors dictate the direction of the organization, then we just might get screwed on our own dime.

Just sayin', ya know...

10. JoeyD

I did not see any disrespect to Bill in what Sean said. Maybe it was opinonated and maybe it was incorrect but disrespectful for the man and his accomplishemnts is pretty harsh to say.