Why I buy Exmark 30 inch lawn mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by SSantor, Aug 19, 2013.

1. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry, but I make my judgment after OWNING! one for 4 1/2 - 5 months now and I can say I truly believe it's underpowered, but in the right conditions it's a bad a$$ mower but if not your SOL with it. And I absolutely hate how fu@king bad the grass builds up under the deck.

2. SSantor

SSantor LawnSite Member

We still really like the three we have. They cut really nice. I was in some tall grass the other day with the discharge shoot on and it was fine. It knocked it down well. We cut all our lawns weekly. The other day a tree dropped alot of leaves, I was anxious to see how it did on a moderate amount of leaves, It did great. It mulched the leaves well. I don't feel these mowers are under powered, sure a few more hp's would be nice, I am not feeling they are under powered. They are not good on hills. In wet grass you do need to clean the decks at times. We like the machines on small lawns. We cut lawns up to a half acre. It uses very small amounts of gas. Gas expenses this year have been much better. So far we are very happy with our 30's. More importantly so are all our customers.

3. SSantor

SSantor LawnSite Member

Someone made the point about mulching high wet grass. I have not found any mowers that will mulch high wet grass well. Even mowers with high horse powers did not mulch high wet grass well. That was one of the reasons we did not buy the 26 inch mower, because you could not discharge. When the grass is real high and wet we discharge the first time and raise the deck and mulch on the second round. It works well. In some cases we side discharge over it twice going in a different direction, the second round at a higher setting. The 30's spread it nice on the discharge. In lasts resorts we bag. We try and stay away from bagging. We did have two properties that dropped a good amount of leaves, more then the last time I came on here and it mulched the leaves really well. So far I've been impressed at how well the 30's mulch leaves. I have not had it on huge amounts of leaves yet, but the other day the leaves were higher then moderate and it did well. I will keep people informed with honest facts on this machine as the year goes on.

4. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

really looking for something that works good in all the wrong conditions.

5. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

Than this is definitely the wrong mower..

6. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I've read several reports these will not pull a hill. My question is do the wheels simply stop turning, engine bog down, wheels start slipping or what?

I'd really like to purchase one of these but one of the places I would use them is hills I don't want to put a zero on. Wouldn't really be climbing steep hills but going side to side.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  7. vegandude

vegandude LawnSite Senior Member

Go side to side,you're ok but,up and down you're going to be working your butt off. The tranny just doesn't have the power.

8. 35DollarLawns

35DollarLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Out of the 3 options what truely has the best feel while using them. Side discharge, mulch, bagging.?
    I would consider using one but at the GIE expo this year mulching was the only way the rep allowed me and it seemed to fly but it bogged , cut clean but the engine sounded abused. I want to know if it sounds smoother bagging or blowing...... I don't mind the hauling grass options either way just looking to hear from users.

Looking to use on 12k-18k lawns with gates, no parking, no irrigation and mostly non fertilized properties where they will be throwed in a truck bed( 8' of plywood ramp with man on the ground)
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. vegandude

vegandude LawnSite Senior Member

my findings
    light lawn- mulch or blow out side
    medium lawn-mulch, bag or side discharge depending on wetness of grass or how much time you have
    heavy lawn or wet(rain)lawn- bag

10. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

So the wheels simply stop turning?