1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why I do this for a living...Kids love the Hustler Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by captken, Apr 15, 2004.

1. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I provide a service for high end residential clientel...that being said, I am kind of an adopted member of many families. Kids are always a sweet spot for me....

I called a client to let them know I'd be coming by. The child answered the phone...the first mow of the year...was all excited..."when are you coming" etc.

He usually stands far away, looking at my mower work, however this time he and his buddy had this popsickle stand set up....with the family dog.

I got a free popsickle and a smile plus this picture for doing some spiraling down the driveway...

This made my day.

memphis kids.jpg
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

thats a good story.
  3. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

That's good stuff, once in a while you need kids to remind you not to take life so seriously:D
  4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Do those kids have a license to sell popsicles?? SCRUBS!!

JK, great post.
  5. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

That's cool. The kids like the Z and you like the popsicle. Nice trade off or did they get you for a dollar?

P.S. Nice to see someone from the neighborhood!
  6. captken

I could not resist....being their first customer....that made my day, yesterday. kenny.
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

are they pulling in $1 a minute with those popsicles?

I hope that they charged you a disposal charge for taking care of the wrapper and stick

What about the electric bill to freeze those pops?

Man, they must have a huge overhead.

That's cool though that it made your day though. Usually dogs always make my days. I have one customers lab that chases after me and nips the back of my shoes when I am mowing standing on the sulkie. It's a blast!
  8. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I'm new, having only been in the biz for a year but I have this one kid, he could stare at me mowing for an hour if it took me that long.

Remember when we were kids? How the grass smelled?
  9. captken

I still like the smell of it....I was standing in the check out line one evening after work, when the person ahead of me remarked, [funny, It smells like someone is mowing grass....] I had been weedeating...after a while I don't realize I reek of "lawn" lol.
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Its neat that you have good relationships like that with the kids. They grow up way too fast.

Then the problem is that they aren't selling popsicles, they are earning them by mowing lawns!!!
    Gotta have a little fun. Nice story.