Why I don't side discharge and have insurance!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blessed 1, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a article from Lee County Ga the confirms my belief that if not Mulching you should at least have a operator controlled discharge chute. And to make it even worse it doesn't appear the the mower operator stopped.

"Lee County man struck by mower’s projectile"

A rock flung by a lawn mower sends a Lee County resident to the hospital after hitting him in the head.

ALBANY — A Lee County man had to have metal plates put into his head after a rock flung from a lawn mower broke through his driver’s window.

John Williford, 35, was driving along Lover’s Lane Road at about 11 a.m. Wednesday when a rock flung by one of the county’s lawn mowers broke the driver’s window of his Ford Taurus and hit him in the head, Williford’s mother, Linda Hutcheson, said Thursday.

After hitting him in the head, the rock — which was about 10 inches in diameter — ricocheted into the roof of the car, leaving an indentation on the outside of the vehicle’s roof, Hutcheson said.

“He blacked out,” Hutcheson said Wednesday afternoon. “When he came to he was bleeding so heavy, and there was nobody around. He knew he needed medical help.

“We just want the whole community to pray for him; he’s got three boys at home.”

Williford drove himself to Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital after he regained consciousness.

A Phoebe spokeswoman said Williford was in good condition Thursday, although Hutcheson said he was fluctuating in and out of consciousness.

Lee County Sheriff’s deputies responded to the hospital after being called about the incident, a report shows. The deputies found Williford’s car outside the hospital with the parking brake engaged and the engine idling.

“There was blood on the left rear fender, the right front fender, and throughout the front seats of the vehicle,” the report states. “There was a dent on the roof by (where) the driver’s head (would be) that protruded out from the interior, and a corresponding gash in the headliner.”

The report also states that “a large brown rock” was under one of the front seats.

2. ExclusiveLawnCare

ExclusiveLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

A 10" Rock thats a big rock to be Shoot out, Wow.

3. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

"when a rock flung by one of the county’s lawn mowers"

Of all people, the "County" should have known better.:nono: I hope he recovers and is well compensated. (in other words I'd sue their a**, big time.)

4. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

that must have been one massicve mower. a 10" rock? that would have weighed 25 lbs!

5. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

I have to believe that someone has something wrong in this report depending on the type of mower. I've hit 6" rocks with a 72" brush hog that flew a fair distance, but a 10" rock? I hope someone gets the full story on what happened. I have to wonder if the rock could have came from somewhere else, like a steep slope??

6. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think the rock could have been 10" in diameter.

First, that is twice the height of most decks so even if you managed to get it under the deck it would be hard getting it back out with any force.
    Second, there would not be enough energy in the blades to throw a rock of that size very far or fast.

10" rock vs. mower blade, the rock will will.

I can certainly see a smaller rock doing what the article claims though.

19,000 SFM = 215.9 MPH

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

10 inch diameter? Thats not a rock, thats a boulder! Glad to see the victim survived.

8. Blessed 1

My guess is the reporter doesn't know the difference between a lawn mower and a Tractor mowing with a bush hog. I had a friend say that on tv they heard them say tractor mowing. We have lime stone rocks down here that aren't as heavy as a standard rock. Also it could have been partly submerged. Regardless a man is in critical condition as a result of what some of us do every day (when I get off work) and Heads Up to us all.:nono: :cool2: *trucewhiteflag*

9. Fairway Land & Lawn

Fairway Land & Lawn LawnSite Member

Sounds like something is deffinately missing in this story. A 10" in diameter rock? Came out from under the deck of a mower (of any kind, bush hog, Flail cutter, rotary) with that much force to go through a car window, hit someoe in the head, and then proceed to dent the roof from the inside out? Im calling mythbusters.....Sounds a little far fetched. The operator didnt stop because the rock more than likely did not come from his mower. I am not saying the reporters are lying, nor am I trying to be insensitive but I can't believe that anyone would truley believe that even a highly powered bush hog running full tilt would throw a 10"diameter rock at a high enough rate of speed for it to do any damageclose to this...BS!!!!!!

10. Blessed 1