1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why I'll recommend Wright Mfg. products

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerman90, Sep 12, 2003.

1. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of you may have seen my posts concerning my new Wright Sentar 61" 25 HP Kawi. I bought the machine, a 2002 leftover with 0 hours from my dealer and was happy with it until at 56 hours the right hydro came down with a sticky piston. I took it into my dealer and the right pump was replaced with a new pump within 24 hours. I thought it was just a fluke. But then, only 6 hours later the second pump had the same problem. Again I was back in the saddle within 24 hours with a new pump. A few hours later and same thing again. I was starting to get annoyed! My dealer spoke with the distributor and they gave me the choice of either another machine or they would replace the entire hydraulic system. Left and right side pumps, wheel motors, everything. I agreed and let them do the repairs. I figured whatever was causing this problem had to be eliminated now. The pumps were the same as was on my Husky 52" 23HP ZTR, and many other Z's. Maybe it was a bad batch or lot. After getting my machine back everything seemed fine except one of the O rings going into the right wheel motor must have been pinched upon assembly and started to leak. Hey, with my luck what do you except. They fixed that while I waited, 45 minutes. A few days later and both wheel motors had leaks from the O rings. I'd had it and called my dealer while in route to his store to tell him I either wanted my money back or another machine. Upon arrival I was given a new Scag Turf Tiger 61" 27HP Kawi LC as a loaner and was told I would be hearing from them shortly. I then received a call from Wright Mfg and was asked if I liked the machine, aside from the problems with the hydros. I told them I loved it, except for the problems. I was offered a 2004 model for a very (very) small amount of difference. I agreed. I picked it up a few days ago and I can truly say that whatever the problems were with the old model, I doubt I'll have them with the new one I now have. They've increased the size of the pump from 10cc to 16cc, larger wheel motors also. The system now has 2 (two)hydro oil filters on it and a cooler. There are other small improvements in the machine and I can truly say that I like this new machine better than the old one (which I liked when it didn't give me problems). The point of all this is that Wright Mfg DOES CARE about their cutomers and will stand behind their product! They identified a problem and fixed it (with overkill). I own the biggest machine they make but even the 48" and 52" has the larger improved pumps on it for 2004. I will buy more Wright Mfg products in the future and will recommend them to my friends and people on this site.
  2. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you made out very well. Good customer service goes a long way. I have a lot of confidence in my dealer, because I have been treated wonderfully by them. Congrats on the new machine.
  3. mowerman90

By the way, I forgot to mention that my friend (TBarchaser) from Orlando came over yesterday to see and try out the new Sentar.
    He wants one!!! Bad!!! If he wasn't so P___whipped, he'd get one. LOL

Tbar - paybacks are a bit__!
  4. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Thanks Ed!

Sentar.............s m o o o o o t h!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There has to be 10" of travel on the suspension seat. The deck hight is Very easy to adjust. This is a very well engineered machine, From a company known for not coping anything.

I would suggest to everyone to demo one of these.
    But....Ed has a Sentar II, The new one has red brackets on the hydro pumps and wheel motors also some bullet proofing around the front caster bearings. Make sure it is the Sentar II.

Now I am forced to sell everything I own to buy one of these.
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Now that's customer service! Just like it should be with all MFG's. Build something, sell it, include warranty, actually back the warranty and get aggressive about taking care of the customer when they have a problem....like I said that's how it SHOULD be.

With most MFG's you would have gotten the old pass the buck routine. As in..."WE don't warranty the hydros....THEY do...not our problem to take care of.

I will tattoo this post in my brain for when I do decide to go ahead with the 61" mower. (Wright + Sentar II = Great customer service + Great Machine) off to the tattoo parlor.

I for one am sick and tired of reading about other MFG's piss poor customer service. We use these machines to make a living and we pay a LOT for them. The very least the MFG's could do is stand behind their product, JUMP on any problems we encounter, stay after it, get it fixed in a reasonable amount of time/tries or step in and do whatever it takes to keep us happy with the product and earning money with them.

It sounds like Wright gets it done!
  6. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

I have 200 hrs.on the Sentar I bought this year.Sheared a wheel bolt.Took it to the dealer;covered under warranty with no questions asked. I was waiting to hear something about abuse and not covering the fix.No problems or questions.No other problems with this unit.I will definitely buy another.
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Does the sentar have a bafled deck like exmarks or scags and others.

How long is the Sentar with the 60" deck.
    Thanks john.
  8. mowerman90

Yes, the deck is very similar to an Exmark. Mine has a custom fabricated mulch kit that was made by my dealer. That's the only thing that Wright has to improve upon. They don't offer anything other than a block-off shoot.

When the seat is folded forward I measure mine to be 66" in length. The brochure says it's 70" (must be with seat down)
  9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Good morning, hows the sentar holding up?
  10. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll second Mowerman on his opinion of the Sentar. I got the 61" 25 HP Kawi this spring. Although I got this year's model with all the upgrades. It is one awesome machine!!!!