Why is grass packed on Top of deck of a JD 727A ZTR?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by fivepro, Jul 25, 2004.

1. fivepro

fivepro LawnSite Member
    from FL

Just purchased a new 727A, and mowed for three hours with the mulch kit installed. Grass was dry bahia, six inches high.

When finished, I removed the belt pulley covers, and could not believe how densely packed the grass clippings were around the spindles. I mean they were packed tight. Is this common? I can't imagine having to clean around the spindles, digging them out, every time I mow. I noticed that the 7 Iron deck has square holes stamped in various spots in the top of the deck surface, maybe for attachments or something. Could the grass clippings be getting blown through these? Should the holes be blocked?

Or would just switching to side discharge prevent grass buildup on top of the deck?

Thanks for any help.
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I dont mulch with my tiger cub but if the deck becomes clogged some then the grass starts to blow out from the front of the deck and get on top of it. I usually take my back pack blower and blow the deck off after every yard or two and then about every other day remove the covers and blow from around the spindles with an air compressor
  3. pwood

pwood LawnSite Member

I have the same problem with my 757. The deck spindles sit down in an indention and this catches a lot of clippings. This makes the deck a little more difficult to keep clean. JD should look at this design and try to make improvements.

I'm not quite sure what the square holes are for. I think they maybe for baffles for mulching.