Why is it so hard to find good help?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Gopher, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Green Gopher

Green Gopher LawnSite Member

Are any of you getting as tired of other businesses poor work effecting yours, as I am.

I ordered a new enclosed trailer in November with a delivery date of Friday the 16th. I called on the 16th and some kid with no idea where my trailer was tells me he will check into it. now four days later and after leaving three angry phone messages I get a call from the sales companies owner and my trailer is still sitting ten hours away with an unknown delivery date! I had to cancel the lettering and custom rack work that was scheduled for this week and am at least a week behind schedule for this trailer now. I want to start charging a daily fee for every day late. If I ran my business like this I wouldn't have survived.
    This isn't the first snag, insurance company is always so late that if I need to change a policy I plan at lease six months in advance.

Have any of you had similar problems.

2. Kelly & Sons

Kelly & Sons LawnSite Member

Welcome to the world! ;)

j/k I normally only give a company one chance, maybe two... if they don't perform up to par, or they are difficult to deal with, I find someone else.

3. Gtotoy

Gtotoy LawnSite Member

~~I call it "Genetic Drift" due to video games and computers taking over the lives of our young Americans.~~

4. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Gtotoy! I agree a 100%. Tony

5. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

No offense, Green Gopher, but I've come to expect that sort of crap from most vendors now. I would have called at least twice, well prior to the expected delivery date to make sure they were on the ball. I've learned the hard way, trust me!

B

6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

It's the same way down here. Good luck.

7. Turfcutters Plus

Turfcutters Plus LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a highly efficient solo operator.I have a great part time helper i had sign up with temp service this year.I use him as needed.Especially in spring.No more workmans comp,payroll,IDES,and other bull.Would'nt trade my FREEDOM and peice of mind for ANYTHING!!!!!

8. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Have you paid out any money for the trailer? If not.. I would cancel the order. If they failed to deliver on the promised date then they have not lived up to their end of the deal. I wouldn't do business with anyone who doesn't have properly trained employees. It's a good indicator of the condition of his business.

9. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

Ain't life grand!

10. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

But that doesn't do him any good if he needs it now. He may have planned on jobs (not to mention the racks and lettering) before another one would come in.

B