why is it

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by CLARK LAWN, Aug 5, 2007.

1. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

Why is it that more LCO's than any other business choose to ignore the law? What I am talking about is that Ohio law states that if a truck is used for commercial purposes you must run a commercial license plate. I would say that about half of the ones i see on the road run a non comm plate.I have read on here posts by people that cliam to be 100% legit in on post then the next day they say they dont have commercial plates.I know people in many other field and nowere is it as bad as in this one.Recently while out of town we were at a state park that has a company that mows around the lodge and the offices,well they showed up on saturday morning and start to work when we were leaving to go out for the day I noticed the truck so I take a drive by to see what they have.Truck is lettered as is the enclosed trailer and both had non comm plates. When we got back to the lodge that evening I wrote a letter to the management explaining that since there salery and existence is based on tax dollars i feel that they should verify that any company the contrat with to do work on the property should be legal.I left him my name and phone# if he wanted to dicuss this and have not heard from him yet. I am not trying to get the job as i live 125 miles away.Also this is not just some part timers doing this but I have seen companies with mutiple truck and 10-15 employees that run like this.

2. schunklawn

schunklawn LawnSite Member

who cares....leave it to the police

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes they should have comm. plates on the truck at the very least. According to the BMV here in Ohio when I got the plate for my trailer, they said that I do not need a comm plate on the trailer, as long as the truck has one. Mind you I still got the commercial plate anyways, because it is the right thing to do. Probably need to research this law a little further to see what loopholes, etc there are.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

IMO, I think the DOT of ANY state is going to use its' manpower and resources to go after the larger size rigs (ie, 18 wheelers) for much larger fines than whether or not a local LCO has commercial plates on his truck/trailer or not.

5. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll probably get slayed for this but it's probably because mowing grass is simple work and it's my guess that the majority of small time guys out there are just not that bright upstairs- hence, they're mowing lawns. There don't know any better and even if they did, they wouldn't care. It's unfortunate that our industry isn't more "professional" and legitimate. It's the actions of these dumb scrubs that give a bad name to the profession- and it'll probably always be that way.

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I see it alot in some of the more city like areas we work in. Its basically a ratty old pickup with some mowers and equipment thrown in the back, no commercial plates, no name, etc.

It used to bother me, but now I look at it like I'm not competing with these guys. If the accounts they are taking don't ask for certificates of insurance and don't care about the appearance of the trucks, whether or not employees are legit, etc., then I really don't want that/those accounts. I believe its really that simple.

7. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I bet 85 - 90 percent of all LCO are illegal in one way or another.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The one reason I can think of is money, it costs a LOT more to get commercial plates, one you need a CDL, two you need commercial insurance, and last but not least the plates themselves cost more, too. We're talking at least $1,000, for starters and for free.

Lco's are not the only business that breaks the rules, it happens we notice it because this is what we do, but just about every single business out there does it, at least owner-based ones (non-corporates). As for corporations such as McD's, I haven't a CLUE how they survive, then again they pay minimum wage but it still boggles the mind...

Teh way I see things you can NOT run a completely by-the-book operation and still expect to make a decent salary on top of a little profit, heck I break every little rule I can get away with and I barely squeak by financially... Yes, I fool myself into believing that I got it better than the rest, but do I, really? Now if you know how to run a 100% legitimate operation with everything exactly the way it's supposed to be, would you please mind sharing the information? I can't speak for the rest, but I could really use this, I don't like breaking the rules but I also do what I must do to survive.
    It's either this or declare bankruptcy every 7-10 years, which option is it?
    I suppose the bankruptcy route is legit, but to me that's just legally stealing the money, so does that make it right?
    Cuz it sure don't feel right :laugh:

My vehicles are legit, but there's no commercial plates because the commonwealth doesn't require it, the insurance is on personal vehicle policy because of a loop hole and as for state inspections, my vehicles have current stickers but they're not all that...They passed the last inspection and they'll likely pass the next, but I don't carry but minimum liability auto, two of my three vehicles have expired plates (I just dont drive them when they expire), I have no business insurance because it's also not required by law in my location, look, I do what I must do, whether anyone else likes it or not, because it's my business.

What I'm saying...

9. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Well at the risk of sounding rude, Dude, you really need to mind your own business. How on earth is this any concern of yours? Why do you care? You are 4 years in, so don't you have more important things about your own business to worry about than what the plate status of another company is? If you keep the focus on your own affairs and out of the business of others you will be better for it. First of all the RMV is responsible for issuing plates and tags you don't dictate to the RMV what plates you get they Dictate to you what plates you will receive. Keep the focus on your own affairs, come on man you actually took the time to write a letter of complaint? Think about that for a minute, This tells me you are investing more time in other peoples business than your own. or you are Just a tattle tale, or and old lady who is nothing but a busybody. I worry more about the viscosity of my Pooh than what the plate status of a complete stranger is