Why is it......?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by barringtonbrothers, May 23, 2004.

1. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

During my short but very eventfull life many people have come to my aide and went above and beyond to help me out. I try to give back to other by using the resources I have to help them out. My question is why is it all the charity jobs you do for people gotta be a pain in the old ass. I take care of a lawn for a old lady and old man next to her who live in DEH GETTO G, my buddy used to take care of it in highschool and being the genious he is put about 5x the amount of fert the lawn needed on it, so he could make money on a regular basis. It hasnt been fert in prob 4 to 6 years but man does it grow with very little weeds. The lawn takes me close to a hour by my self, have to use 2 different mowers on it, cut the old man for nothing and the old lady insist on paying me 15 dollars even though I told her not to worry. My friend has prob close to 2 acres but its all flat and open with a few trees. She just went threw a messy devorce and is trying to put one daughter threw school and raise another. Its just out of my way, takes me a hour, and has these dumb small ditches I got to weed eat every other time. I dont charge her because I want her to use the money to get her mower fixed and buy the girls stuff,I think she gets her mower back this week thank god. My mother has 2 and 1/2 acres 9 miles from my closest lawn, has a god dang hill I cant mow with the Z, and freaking moles. But its my mommy and I take care of her. Then there my neighbors. I got about 5 hours of charity work a week I have to fit into my 4 day mowing schedule. I dont mind, but some weeks its really frustrating when Im trying to take on new customers and stay above the gas prices. Some days doing the right thing is not easy.
  2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

thats your fault i dont work for free FOR ANYONE... Family is prepaid..As bad as it sounds.

You put yourself in this mess.

3. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

wait a second trevor---you charge your family ??? You oughta be shot
  4. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

ya i second that i work for free for my family maybe a lil beer but thats all
  5. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

you joking??

I do give him a bit of a disc. but he is prepaid...
    Also if i do work for any family it is by $/h, and only like $5 cheaper than my normal

6. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

your goin to hell you know that. :D

I do stuff for my imediate family for free, i'd never be able to charge my parents after all they've done for me but like cousins, uncles/aunts, i give a discount to.
  7. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Trevor I hope you never need a favor in your life. I cant put a price on all the help I have gotten from people in the past. Its not a mess, just a pain in the ass at times. I dont regrett helping them at all.
  8. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I do a certain amount of stuff for free just to get things back for free. I would never think about charging my parents after all the stuff they do for me. Everone else in the family though always pays me more then my normal rates, i guess they just like giving me money.

BALDEAGLE LawnSite Member

safe to bet trev dont believe in karma------------yet---!
  10. Trev, you don't mean your parents do you? I don't mow I do installs, and if my mother wanted a new lawn I'd trailer up my equipment and drive the two hours to get there and stay the day or two it would take to renovate her lawn and there'd be no charge; not even for seed.

My daughter? No charge.

My sister? She might have to pay for my expenses.