Why Is My Hydraulic Pump Flood Always Black

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Tennesseepowerstroke, Apr 28, 2013.

1. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

Graingers has a test kit available. I believe you ship it to Parker for analysis. It's not cheap. OR, switch to Exmark's Hydro oil. I've never seen an Exmark or Toro that uses Mobil 1 that didn't darken or thicken. Turn black? No. It's not as great in hydro's as everyone thinks. One reason it was used in the first place was the hope it would hold up to the excessive heat that system creates due to the small capacity. On hot days, the oil in the resovoir can exceed 200 degrees.The new fluid is far superior to Mobil 1. Kit number is 4va89. Research it from there. So before this post gets torn apart by the "experts", try it and judge for yourself. You can flush that entire system with a little creative plumbing.

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

For the guys who think Mobil 1 hasent changed... the changes that Mobil1 made are talked about in detail in the north American motoring forums.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Tennesseepowerstroke

Tennesseepowerstroke LawnSite Senior Member

The The Mobil 1 has 30 hours on it at this point. I removed some to inspect it. It is not coal black but is dark brown/black when observed closely outside of the reservoir, definitely a lot darker than fresh out of the bottle. What do you guys think of removing the filter, adding Exmark Hydro Oil, and putting the same filter back on. I would run it for a few hours, drain again, install a new Exmark filter and refill with more Exmark Hydro Oil. I have always felt oil anylisis is too expensive. It is cheaper to change the oil more frequently.

4. Tennesseepowerstroke

I agree as oil formulas seem to be evolving at all times.

5. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

What the actual model number and serial?

6. Tennesseepowerstroke

LAS28KA604

702748 seriel number

7. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

When did the change to Mobil 1 15w-50 take place?

8. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Greg....we use 2 to 5 gallons a week...in the course of business....
    Ain't nuthin turnin black...or even gettin dark....
    Mobil scientists ain't gonna shoot their cash cow....
    A few guys that seldom chime in on this forum are introducing the shadow of doubt...

9. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah I'm my fair share as well and nothing black here either.