1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why is my mower so hard to use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DynaMow, Apr 28, 2005.

1. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

This season I bought a used Lesco 48" Hydro walk behind (my first hydro) 2002 model w/ 400 hrs. It is very hard to use. Its a fight to go straight. Hands are very sore from constantly using levers, springs seem tight.

Any help, suggestions, ideas, and thoughts are certainly welcome.
    Anybody else experience this issue?
    Lesco owners ever got springs with less tension.

Ready to go back to my belt drive.
  2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

First make sure both back tires are the same pressure. If the speed levers are even with each other the machine should track fairly straight. Now for the fine tuning steering try letting go of the hydro grip and manualy adjusting the course of the mower with just the handle bars. I find that constant adjustment with the hydros makes my hands tired. When it's time to turn drop your hands back to the pistol grips.

3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

You must have pistol Lesco mower, ouch! I have tried them while buying some fetilizer bags months ago and I know what you mean hard to operate.
    They built so strong that it really intimidated user, I guess you have to be strong to operate them, especially your arms and hands.
    That is why I think ECS and Stander quad-bar are the best in WB market to operate, not trying to start a war here, but from experience earned using WB as primary.
  4. Tim Louis

Tim Louis LawnSite Member

I had a lesco gear and I will tell you that you will get used to it. Took me one carpal tunnel surgery. Seriously you cant stear the machine with the hydros, use your upper body strength in your arms and chest to put more pressure on a grip or to pull back on a side to keep you straight. I think the only time you want to use your hydros to steer is on a hillside or thats what I recommend. good luck and you will get used to it.
  5. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know much about lesco brands but I assume its like an exmark hydro that has a tracking handle that you turn to fine tune it and keep it from going left and right.
  6. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

You Kids and you're Lescos......Pistol Hydros Will Grow on You...Better you Spoent a few More $$ and Got an eXmark w/ECS.
  7. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

8. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

You must have the pistol grip mower. I hear ANY pistols are hell to deal with. I have the new Lesco 48 H/D. It has Zturn type controls. It is a great mower.
  9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

pistols are like that, your hands/arms wil get used to it. I have a bobcat with pistols right now and can't wait to get a Z mid season. Its such a pain on the hands, i found that the exmarks we used to use were alittle easier on the hands but any pistol is going to be tough after awhile.
  10. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, My hydro eXmark with ECS ir really easy. I can just about go to sleep on flat ground standing on the velki.