Why is my new Ferris cutting so bad?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smitty58, May 28, 2005.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a new Ferris 1500 z a couple of months ago. I have tried new blades, double blades, mulch blades and no matter what we try it has not cut very good. We like everything about this z except the quality of cut. I complained to my dealer about ,but he had nothing to say so now what do I do. It has 35 hours on it ,and we ordered a mulch kit to see if that helps. Basically it misses grass, it leaves a ton of dead grass after it cuts ,and yes we have tries double cutting. I have yards that last year with my "consumer" z Simplicity were taking 25 minutes and looked great ,today it took us 60 minutes and still didn't look very good. I need some advice, I am ready to throw in the towel on this mower ,but I don't want to make a rash decision. I would like to hear from other Ferris 1500 owners to see if they are experienceing the same problems.

2. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

You have a dealer problem, is my guess !

The dealer should examine the mower, check for proper deck level, etc. That's his job!

I would put the original factory installed blades back on it, and make adjustments from there.

If the dealer doesn't give you satisfaction, call Ferris !

3. JimE

JimE LawnSite Member

I have a Ferris 3000 - 61" cut. I have not had any problems with the quality of the cut when discharging from the chute. When I put the mulcher kit on, it does leave lines of cut grass on the right side.

My suggestion would be to take this back to the dealer. I believe Ferris has a full two year warranty on all of their machines.

4. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

check to see if the hieght it cuts at is the same as what it says on the hieght adjuster.
    If you are actually cutting more grass (shorter) than you think, it could have the symptoms you wrote about.
    A heavier machine will sink into a lawn some.

5. E.L.I.T.E.LawnCare

E.L.I.T.E.LawnCare LawnSite Member

i have a 1000z and i have noticed some places grass was missed, but after a double cut it got it the second time. If this is a persistent problem i might have to go elsewhere, suppose to purchase the IS 3000 Tues.

6. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

The Reason The Cut Sucks Is B/c Its A Ferris!!

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

All mowers will give a very good cut if they are set up properly, have good blade maintenance and the operator is mowing according to existing conditions.

The deck (blades) must be lower in front than the rear and the blades must be the right ones (sometimes OEM blades are the only way) to get a good cut. Never deviate from the Manufacturer's recommended tire pressure. An rpm check is always a good idea because blade speed is soooo important.

If you don't already own a tachometer then buy a good electronic one.

8. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

I love it. LMAO

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

smitty, i'm sorry to hear that. unfortunately, the members here feel that the dealer is in no way responsible for your misfortune. in fact, they feel it's YOUR FAULT for not examining the mower before taking it. best of luck

10. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

You don't know what your talking about!

We have a new IS 3000 and it delivers a great cut. I would just about bet that there isn't a machine on the market that would give a better cut than our Ferris.