Why is my Toro Smoking?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by roget, Jul 19, 2004.

1. roget

roget LawnSite Member
    from texas

hey guys. the last couple of times i've been starting my Toro thick white smoke comes out. i've been using different kinds of oil for it, could this be the problem???

2. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

For starters, check the oil level, if it is too high the engine will burn oil, and blow smoke. If there is paint on the muffler, it could be burning off. Also check the cylinder head, the cylinder could be leaking. If all else failes, take it to a dealer.

3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

what mkwl said^^^^^^^

4. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

tell us more about the machine,age,type of mower etc.almost sounds like head gasket...

5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Or worn valve seals/ or guides... How many hrs?

6. roget

roget LawnSite Member
    from texas

We've had it for about two months and this has been occuring for the past week or so. I dont know the exact hours because there is no gauge but it is a fairly new machine.

We went to a dealer to pick up a part for it and i saw they came out with a Toro Personla Pace Advanced Mulching Sysytem...does anyone know if this helps the problem of the PP leaving grass heads up???

7. txlawnking

Is it a Kohler engine? If so it may be part of "normal" break in.. My 22hp Kohler would smoke upon start up too when I first got the machine.. I've got 20 hrs on it now and no more smoke.. It may just be the rings seating in...

8. txlawnking

Wait a minute, I re-read your post slower, is it a 21"? Two stroke maybe? Please clue us in.

9. roget

roget LawnSite Member
    from texas

I think it's a twenty one inch with a four stroke system..

10. roget

roget LawnSite Member
    from texas

and a techusmsa(?) engine