Why is poly pipe so bad????

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CRUZMISL, Aug 22, 2004.

1. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

I see everyone suggesting PVC for irrigation. Why is poly taboo? My system has poly but that was before I met you guys :) Seriously though, most contractors, if not all in my area, use poly.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. packmate81

packmate81 LawnSite Member

99% of what we install is poly.....faster and easier than pvc....

Larger commercial and golf cousre stuff we do in pvc.. but that just because of the psi rating

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Not a thing wrong with poly, for residential and light commercial under 1 1/2". It's commonly used and easier to repair.

4. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

I only wish we could use a vibratory plow and poly pipe. The soil is so hard, and so filled with shale and rock that a plow and poly pipe would be slower than a trencher or backhoe. Thus, we use PVC.

5. farmer_lab

farmer_lab LawnSite Member
    from KS

GO POLY!!

6. Rotor-Man

Rotor-Man LawnSite Member

Use nothing but poly pipe here, except for the mainline which I build with pvc. There is nothing wrong with poly pipe and is the only way to go with pulling it in with a vibatory plow. Seems different areas have different prefences and different soil conditions, if you used a trencher in my area and left the established yard a mass of stripes when you were done, you would be done and very lonely!!

7. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

For some reason here in Pittsburgh, Poly is not used. Out of hundreds of systems that I service, I may have 2 or 3 Poly systems.

8. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

Theres nothing wrong with poly. Poly is a lot stronger than pvc when it comes to frezzing under ground. It isn't as brittel like pvc can be.

John

9. kobisk

kobisk LawnSite Member

Either is fine.
    We use PVC and pull it in with a vibratory plow, and it seems to have worked well for us the past 5 years.

Kris