Why is the br600 so popular?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2stroked, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I just got off the phone with my dealer and they said they run 22.95 each, so a total of $46 for the set. Gonna have to get in there and see about ordering a set.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I've never noticed the difference in the backs between the mag and non...gonna look tomorrow...I knew something was up with those straps.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. 2stroked

2stroked LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not trying to start a war here or any thing, but last spring my uncle bought a br600 magnum to help maintain his 3 acre lot and 2 acre store lot with a huge parking lot. He got about a year out of it before it ate a valve randomly, I know he used it a lot, but he is a bit OCD about the way his equipment is maintained. The blower was just out of warranty to, so he was super pissed and basically sold all his Stihl stuff and replaced it with shindaiwa. I hear Stihl has gotten better with stuff like that, but it scared me away from buying one.

4. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a fluke to me, bad stuff gets out of every plant no matter what the product, even BMW puts out a bad car once in a while.

5. leon2245

leon2245 LawnSite Member

A reasonable approach.

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

So he bought a used blower? I call BS, two year warranty on Stihl. If I recall it would have been 3 year warranty for non commercial.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

If he bought it as a homeowner instead of an LCO and bought the 6 pack of HP Ultra at time of purchase (like most dealers recommend), the warranty went from 2 years to 4.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

That really is the exact opposite of even my own experience. My first BR600 was over a year out of warranty. My dealer inspected it and determined that the valve guides were dropping and replaced the entire engine and carb. No charge.

I suspect that your uncle's experience was due to the dealer and not Stihl. Stihl has been very, very liberal with warranty work and not just with the BR600s. How many other brands of outdoor power equipment offer a lifetime warranty on the driveshaft and clutch?

9. 2stroked

2stroked LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, sometimes he does the stupidest things :hammerhead:. He bought the blower used from his neighbor because he was moving to a apartment.

10. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Correct just bought a BR600 4 year warranty had to buy the oil but needed some anyways.