Why is thier an Engine Speed on Turf Tracer?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Firefighter Dave, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Firefighter Dave

Firefighter Dave LawnSite Member

I have a demo TT right now and it has a throtle control for the engine speed? WHY? I did notice when I am cutting yesterday that it shoots out the clippings about three feet... I am thinking if I lower the throtle speed it wont shoot the clipping out that far? Am I correct, or way off base... please tell me why thier is a throtle speed and where should it be ran - low, med, high?

:blob2: :blob2:
  2. Hoopsfan

Hoopsfan LawnSite Member

Dave, my dealer said to run the engine full throttle when cutting. The blades need to be at the proper rpm for maximum efficiency. Also, engine needs to operate at low throttle for 1-2 minutes after use for engine cool down. Hopefully others will reply with more info. Hope this helps.
  3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hoopsfan is on the right track. You should also try not to engage you blades at full rpm. The blade engagements vary on different models but none of them like to engage at full rpm over an entire season. Although you should run your lawnmower engine at full rpm when cutting there will be times when a 1/4" drop in the throttle control can help reduce the dust in dry conditions.

Some engines also start better with the throttle control in different locations depending upon whether the engine is warm or cool. The adjustable throttle just allows you to make allowances for engine temperature when starting and re-starting.

Some of the bigger engines can generate some noise at full rpm. You will also find instances when you will want to throttle down to avoid excessive noise. As an example if you have an enclosed trailer you may want to idle the mower into position for transport rather than doing so at full rpm.

You'll also find that some engines will want to "pop" or backfire if you shut them off at too high or too low of rpm's.

Please let me know if we can be of any further assistance.