Why is this happening?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by machsixer, Aug 28, 2006.

1. machsixer

machsixer LawnSite Member

Hello board,
    I have an issue I need some advice on. I have a Husqvarna iz5223 23hp Kawasaki powered 0-turn, 52 inch etc.
    It seems no matter how careful I am at turning/rotating, I seem to more often then not get a little area where the grass has been torn up or displaced in some way. I've tried making bigger arcs, going slower, splitting the handles to turn, etc.

What should I do???

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have big slug tires on my Z. Depending where Im mowing. I always make sure the inside tire is still turning. I also make 3 point turns on some places. Are you new to the Zero tuen mowers? If so, It just take practice.

Hope this helps

3. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

The reason the grass gets torn up soto speak...Is because you are pivoting one wheel...this Is the most probable cause IMO.
    Keep a eye on the wheel that pivots when you turn... and make sure It keeps rolling.
    Z turns are known to do a bit of turf damage here and there ...some times, no matter how carfull you are.
    Also If your go down hill and turning a bit you can loose traction on the back end ..And tear turf that way as well.
    You may also be making your turns to fast??.
    I'm sure the other guys can add to this.
    Daner

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

even though they are called "Zero turns" you have to do a 3 point turn inorder to not rip up the grass. Especially if you run the same cut pattern every week.

butlike the previous poster said, the trick is to keep both wheels turning at all times.

5. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

just practice, you learn what you can and cant do with a Z.. I will try almost anything.

6. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

If you come to a complete stop and then begin to push forward on one bar and pull back on the other so that both tires are spinning at equal speeds in opposite directions, there should be no damage to the grass at all. Practice makes perfect. Hope this helps.:D

7. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

That's the ticket.

8. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

if the customer has a healthy lawn that is thick and has good roots there should be no problem zero turning your mower with out damage to the turf.

9. johnscag

johnscag LawnSite Member
    from Balt md

I also have the same problem, going from walkbehinds to a ztr is much different!!!

10. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

i do less damage keeping both wheels going in the same direction at all times but - i do stop start one wheel reversing then just as soon as it starts moving push the other forward if i need to do a zero turn

Attached Files: