1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why is this site so slow when get over 100 active people?

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by DLS1, Dec 19, 2003.

1. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

When are you going to switch to a better server?

I am on other sites with close to 1,000 people on at a time and never have a problem with getting to threads on the sites.

Do we need for each member to pay $1 or ? month to get better/faster access?
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Not sure about anyone else, but I am not experiencing a slow down at any time of the day.
    I have cable.
    What type of internet connection do you have?
  3. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

No slowdown . ever
    And I lurk ALOT
  4. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

It's called traffic for a reason, and bottlenecks can happen on either end.
    The slowness at an individual computer does not mean it must be a server problem.
    Maybe it's YOU.
  5. LSAdmin

LSAdmin Web Developer Staff Member

I'm not aware of slowdowns on the server side when there is a hundred users online. In fact, we had more than 200 online at the same moment a few times and the server was running fine - it might have taken 0.2 seconds instead of 0.1 to generate a page, but I do not think that this means that we need a more powerful server.

LawnSite has already been moved on its own, purely dedicated server back in September and that helped a lot.

6. DLS1

Hey Rustic Goat, I have been in the programming/computer field for over 25 years so I know about servers and traffic,etc.

I can be signed on and go to Lawnsite and it is slow but then switch to another site with close to 1,000 on the site and it is okay. I am talking about more than a few seconds and it so slow that I just give up and wait until there is less than 100 on the site. Not sure what the problem is.

I do have dial-up service that is usually 26000 bps since I have poor phone line in the country.
  7. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I was just making an observation of the facts you presented- didn't mean to insinuate an insult to you with so much experience and knowledge in the field- why do you need to even ask such a question if you have all the answers??????????

From the other responses being given here, you seem to be individually having the problems with connection speed.

The info you now give about your connection is also the answer to your original question!:rolleyes:
    If you have so much incredible knowledge of these subjects, and you are aware of your poor connection quality, why was the first thing you say must be wrong is this sites server???????????
  8. DLS1

Saying I have 25 years experience is stating a fact and that is it.

You need to relax and quit taking comments out of context.

Thanks for your years of experience to help me solve this problem so quickly.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  9. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

my .02... I think dial-up will be like 8track tapes someday soon.... using dial-up is like trying to get on a fast, busy highway at 15mph ... at least with the Internet you only cause yourself frustration and problems... those guys who get on the highway real slow kill themselves and others.