why isn't ferris more popular?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by sandman98, Apr 7, 2006.

1. sandman98

sandman98 LawnSite Member

looking for a ztr mower for home use, and so far have test driven a hustler fastrak 20/52, as well as a ferris is1500z 21/48. although i wasn't able to compare the quality of cut, both appear to be well built machines with more than enough hp, and should last a long time (on my 1.5 acres). i also looked at the exmark lazer ct 48", but the dealer didn't seem too anxious to deal with residential customers (his loss as far as i'm concerned).

one thing swaying me toward the ferris is the suspension. it really did appear to make the ride smoother, and is a bit faster as well. ferris has been around quite a while manufacturing farm equipment, and making mowers for about 20 years. it seems like a decent quality machine at a good price. why then, are they not more popular? do they have a relatively limited dealer network? are they viewed as "inferior" by the lco community? can someone give me valid reasons to not buy this machine?

any help would be much appreciated.
  2. exmark1

exmark1 LawnSite Member

Run away from the Ferris in my opinion! I had an IS 3000 that was the biggest lemon ever, one fuel tank literally fell off going across a yard and the deck never cut level or decently! I ended up trading for an Exmark after 25 hours because I was tired of taking it back to be repaired and worked on. I would really suggest buying the Exmark they are indistructable!
  3. need mower

need mower LawnSite Member

I'm in the same boat as you. I would like to know more about the Ferris. I drove the same mower 21/48 and it rides great. Got a book went home to study and found something I overlooked. The IS1500 is not a true Independent Suspension. The front tires will not move up together. If one goes up the other must go down. ?????? Wonder why they did that? :confused: To get the real thing you must move up to the IS2000 25/52 which is a larger deck than I want and more cash. I think it's about $7400. But the ride may be worth it in the long run.
  4. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion, the Ferris mowers are too heavy.
  5. jklemz

jklemz LawnSite Member

If you want a caddilac ride the Ferris is your mower. If you want a good cut go someplace else. Ferris is a good piece of equipment for a home owner who has money to blow. One big down fall to the suspension is becoming over-confident, Most guys think that if they can't feel the bumps they can go faster. NOT TRUE. You will end up beating the machine to pieces. Front forks WILL bend, fuel tanks WILL fall of, the deck WILL jump, and you WILL NOT be happy. I will take a rough ride and a good cut any day.
  6. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Ferris is all that I run, both walk-behinds and ztr. Wouldn't trade them for anything. I have great luck and love them.