Why isnt my chain saw oiling the chain?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by THEoneandonlyLawnRanger, Mar 18, 2008.

1. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

Been cleaning up my fence line and my Echo chain saw has stopped lubing the chain? its got plenty of oil in the tank but the chain is as dry as it can be. I took the bar off and cleaned out the slit the oil comes out of but still no oiling? Any ideas what to look for ?

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Chain too tight?

3. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

The oil pick-up line may be blocked in the tank, or you can also have a hole in the oil line.

4. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

also on most echos if you look at the bottom of the saw there will be a hole with a recessed screw in it to adjust the chain oiler.:usflag:

5. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

take off side cover and check out adjuster screw, clean out side cover oil groove , check how much crap is in tank ,might have to flush tank a couple times . never owned echo saw .

6. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks fellas, I'll check for that adjustment tonight, and clean it out again

7. themowerman

themowerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I am not sure of your particular model but most saws have a sprocket driven worm gear that drives the oil pump. Over time the gear gets all crudded up and will sometimes strip out which in turn does not turn the oil pump shaft to move the oil.

8. treeman574

treeman574 LawnSite Member
    from ny

check the bar most saws have an oil passage drilled in the bar usually over the slot for mounting studs make sure that is cleaned out oil may be coming out of pump but not able to get up throughbar to chain

9. johnp900

johnp900 LawnSite Member

What model is it?