why isn't the plan working?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by BltFordTuf, May 29, 2007.

1. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Dead after working on 4-6 accounts? Please...

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

How many flyers have you been putting out? Have you put any business cards up on any bulletin boards or anything like that.

3. ALarsh-
    The 4-6 are the regular weekly customers. Then i have a couple others that i do every week.. A lot of the work lately has been doing other work, mulch and stone beds, and being as tho i don't have a skid or dingo, its all shovel and wheel barrow. So its a pain. Im also spending a lot of time out repaintin the towns fire hydrants for an eagle project. Im finishing that up this week before i go down the shore.

J&R-
    Ive put out flyers around the area but this late in the season im not getting a whole lot in response (just people who think its too hot, but only want to pay $10-15 a shot. Which isnt worth it. I give out business cards to the people i work for and tell them if they know someone who needs work to give them one, and i have gotten some calls lately from that.

Today i was out on an estimate and the guy wasnt home. Trim a lot of bushes and weekly cutting. I was done and leaving the estimate and the guy tells me that he called my office (dont have one...my fone # is the cell) to tell me not to do it (still havent gotten the voicemail) and had someone else doing it. The guy is doin a 1/2 acre lawn once a week for $20 and is workint $5/hour on the bushes. I told the good for you...told him my minimum is $15 an hour on that kind of stuff and told him to wait for a bill for my time that he wasted by not calling me to tell me this when we had a scheduled appointment for the estimate.

Doug

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure what the market is like around you but I wouldn't or couldn't be working with a $15/hour minimum. After overhead alone is out of that, I'd be making next to nothing. You might need to re-evauluate your pricing. JMO

5. 15 an hour is for the stuff like trimming bushes...none over 2 feet tall..nothing hard. The majority of my other work is higher. I have mainly 1/4 to 1/2 acre lawns that i cut for $40 minimum (normally higher due to hills and that stuff)

Doug

6. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

You should be around $80 / hr for 2 guys.

7. ALarsh...that is basically what i do cutting. I don't have anyone going with me right now becuase i dont have enough accounts. And most of the houses take at most an hour. So the $40 for 1 man is the same as $80 for 2

Doug

8. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

$40 for a 1/4 acre? Some people might tell me im way of but that sure seems high!! I get $25-$30 and can finish up the yard in 15-20 minutes. And $15 per hour? My minuim is $20 and thats usualy if its for family or something...

9. Terraformer

Terraformer LawnSite Member

Doug, firefightergw gave you some excellent advice... you would do well to heed what he said.

Good Luck

10. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I'd hire ya