Why its not always great to use heads with a check valve.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, May 16, 2005.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I had a service call from hell today, but thats not what this post is about.

I had to change out a bunch of Orbit sprayheads (the ones that look like 2" pop RB Sprays) because they had cracked open. Originally I just figured it was because Orbit is garbage, but when I pulled the first one, I noticed it had a check valve.

These heads were in a landscape on 2'-3' risers. My theory is that the check valve did not allow the heads to drain, and then it froze, and all the heads ruptured.

So, if your in freezing territory, don't use SAM heads on risers.

2. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

Hey JonHolland-------

That made me smile---!

So......why were SAM's on a riser, anyway? Doesn't make sense, huh? I'm not implying you did that, or have an answer, but was the landscape in a lower elevation than the rest of the system? Was that all the guy had, at the time, to install? Like the rest of the system had SAM heads, too, and they just used the same ones on the risers? That would have had me shakin' my head, too!

See ya----kerdog

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The system was installed around 10 years ago when the house was built. Whoever originally did it didn't have the slightest clue. They used a marlex elbow on the vaccum breaker... :realmad:

I think they used SAM heads because they bought them on accident perhaps?

Heads were Hunter R series (crap), el cheapo impact heads, Hunter PGM's and Orbit Sprays.

I replaced and moved heads all over trying to get decent coverage in the now far overgrown landscape.

I also had to replace two valves. The original manifolds were done with galvinized Tee's, so I ended up redoing them completly.

We won't even talk about the wiring.

4. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

To JonHolland----

Glad I'm not that homeowner......those trips to hell and back...costly!